1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Choke

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Fubba
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Choke

I have an 83 D-150. It used to have the trusty ol' slant-6, but we put in a 318 out of an 87 diplomat. My question is, my old motor's carburetor didn't have an electric choke. This other one does. I just rebuilt the carb today and noticed that the choke hasn't ever been hooked up. The wires were stuck off to the side. Can I hook this one up? If so, how? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:09 AM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Choke

Hook the Positive wire to any 12-volt power source that is switched on with the ignition EXCEPT the coil or the alternator - Hooking it to the coil wil fry the choke and hooking it to the alternator will damage your charging system - Trust me on that one, I did it, and had to rewire the entire engine compartment, and hook the other wire to a ground source - basically any bolt on a grounded piece of metal. I hooked mine up to the turn signals up under the dash. Another good source is the radio. Also, use an inline fuse so in case something goes wrong, the fuse blows and the choke doesn't.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Electric Choke