1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

88 dakota 4x4 concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
roper1166
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 dakota 4x4 concerns

I just bought an 88 dakota 4x4 from a government agency knowing that there were potential issues with the 4 wheel drive. They taped a note to the 4 wheel drive shift handle that reads ( Do not use 4x4 or parking break, bad things may happen). There seems to be some oil around the front differential and the transfer case seems to be a little damp with oil.
I have not attempted to engage yet. Other than checking oil levels and giving it a shot, does anyone have any advice.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use baby steps. I would check the oil levels and engage the 4x4, when stopped, to see what symptoms you have when you try to drive it. There is no way to trouble shoot things without any symptoms to work with. I do not know of anything catastrophic that can happen just by engaging the 4x4 when stopped and trying to take off. I would not try engaging 4x4 while driving until you get it to work when stopped.

With the parking brake you can pull the rear wheels and drums to at least look at the working parts for anything obvious. I would then try having an assistant engage the parking brake with one drum at a time off, to see what what does or doesn't work.

Last edited by SEAL; 03-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 88 dakota 4x4 concerns