3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keep replacing TPS! HELP!!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:52 PM
philipb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep replacing TPS! HELP!!!!

Hos everyone doing? Hopefully better than me. Heres hat i have, 2003 1500 4x4 with the 4.7. CAI, cat back exhaust, superchips programmer and a FastMan 68mm TB. Now for my headaches. I replace TPS all the time, like every 4-8 weeks. idle starts jumping and or while driving on the highway the tranny slips and goes into second or third gear and your stuck untill you reset the computer and replace the tps. The tranny fluid level is good and this happened before the programmer and before I put my system in in case that makes a difference. My programmer keeps saying throttle position sensor 1 performance. What could cause this? The local mechanics are stumped and the dealer wants to charge $100 an hour to diagnose. Could be electrical or even the pcm they say. Or it could be your TB. We will be glad to look at it for 100 an hour. No thanks but this has been going on for almost a year. Any ideas??? HELP!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In what manner is the TBS failing? Is it burnt, mechanically broken? Since the TB has been changed my first thought is perhaps the TB travel and the TPS travel don't match, i.e. the TB when opened (WOT) rotates past the design travel of the TPS causing damage. If all is good mechanically, then you are looking at the voltage input to the TPS.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
philipb
Rookie

input voltage? As far as i can tell the tps doesnt look burnt or broken. what steps should i take to check the input voltage and what am i looking for? what would cause it to not be right?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
philipb
Rookie

also the TB blade travel should be ok since it is the same core as factory by the fastman

Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Cheeech
Banned

You would get low input or high input codes thrown for improper voltage.
However, to check the TPS voltage, you need to turn the key to the acc position. Then back probe the TPS sensor plug. I'm not sure the Ram readings but it'll be somewhere around say 1.6-2v when the T/B is in the closed position. Then as you open up the T/B, the voltage should rise and stop around like 4-5v???. Something like that. Again, not sure what those numbers should be, but they are fairly close. A Haynes manual would tell you exactly what the voltage should read at open and closed.
I would say that the T/b is causing the issue's not the TPS. Maybe truckin(Truckin151) or Teach (off_road_teacher) can chime in as they have the fastman. i think it wasTruckin who had his edge filed down on the inside which helped throw less codes or have issue's. Again, throwin this out there to get chewed up. I'm not 100% sure on what his issue was.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
philipb
Rookie

well i replaced my tps again and truck is running fine. this time i got a factory tps from the dealer. they said that the ones i get at oreillys are cheap and not reliable. also i looked at the three old tps and didnt see sny cracks or burn marks. however when i stuck a large sized flat blade screwdriver in it and slowly and carefully turned them i noticed they all felt gritting. one even hung up. almost like a spring tightening. also they had much less tension than the OEM from the dealer. any ideas on what caused them to get this way?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM
ws50599
Unhappy where is the throttle position sensor HELP!

have a 2004 Dodge 1500 4.7 factory motor. where is the throttle position sensor (please don't say it is located on the throttle body) if I am facing the engine...what do I need to remove to get at it and where is located on the engine etc.? any special torx tools? HELP!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ws50599
have a 2004 Dodge 1500 4.7 factory motor. where is the throttle position sensor (please don't say it is located on the throttle body) if I am facing the engine...what do I need to remove to get at it and where is located on the engine etc.? any special torx tools? HELP!
You ask where it's located, but you say not to tell you it's on the T/B??? Well, it is on the T/B. It gets the reading off of the butterfly shaft which is what your gas pedal controls. DOn't know what else to tell ya. Maybe you need to take the air filter assembly off the top of the engine that is connected to the T/B. And the T/B is on the TOP of the engine at the other end of the air filter tube incase you were totally clueless?

And OP, please don't use a screwdriver on your new TPS as that can and will damage it. They have limited travel. Cheap internal springs can cause the binding and heat likely changed the spring tension on the cheaper one's.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Kamel87
Professional

its on the right side if ur looking at the tb. the easiest way to remove it is unplug everything take ur intake off and unbolt ur tb. it sticks out of the right side the only reason is say take ur tb off is so u can clean it. and yes ull need a torx screw to take it off

Old 02-25-2010, 02:35 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philipb
well i replaced my tps again and truck is running fine. this time i got a factory tps from the dealer. they said that the ones i get at oreillys are cheap and not reliable. also i looked at the three old tps and didnt see sny cracks or burn marks. however when i stuck a large sized flat blade screwdriver in it and slowly and carefully turned them i noticed they all felt gritting. one even hung up. almost like a spring tightening. also they had much less tension than the OEM from the dealer. any ideas on what caused them to get this way?
Let us know if this is the final fix, OEM parts are always expensive, but sometimes nothing else will work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keep replacing TPS! HELP!!!!