2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Neon and MSD Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
05 Neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2005 Neon and MSD Issues

I just installed an MSD ignition system (DIS 2, coil, wires and Tach adapter). Problem is, a friend did the first wiring job, and he wired all the same color wires together. Needless to say, the car didn't start. So today I re-wired it, as per the schematics, and it still wont start. Did he fry my system or my ecu or what? I didn't see any smoke being let out....

Last edited by 05 Neon; 02-17-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of curiosity, what do you have done to the Neon that required a full MSD ignition system?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM
05 Neon
Default Require?

I live in Germany. I really enjoy driving as fast as I can on the Autobahn. I'm tired of being stuck at 120, with a not so fast acceleration. So, in answer to you question: I'm at the beginning of my Neon upgrade. Intake and exhaust are the first stage, and ignition and PCU are second, and maybe third, if still required, inner engine. So, do I need to buy a new ECU before I was planning on it, or is there a quick fix I am overlooking?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd start by testing the MSD unit, if possible. In regards to the car, do the lights and chimes work when you turn the key to on? Does the fuel pump come on?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:48 AM
05 Neon
Default Chimes...

Yeah, everything works. The engine cranks over and everything. I just don't think I'm getting a spark. I have the DIS 2 unplugged, with the by-pass plug in the line. I know it works though. Everything went pear shaped when my buddy wired in the Tach Adapter wrong. I'm worried that the Tach Adapter is fine, and that something else (more expensive and NOT covered in a brand new replacement warranty) is fried.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, if everything else works and it even cranks, I think you have a pretty good idea of where to start. Just a matter of nailing it down exactly.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
05 Neon

Got over my panic attack today and started thinking again. Unplugged the 'new' wiring and plugged in the factory wires. Started up just fine. Tomorrow the auto sparky in my shop is going to go over it with his multi-meter and do the wires up nice and professional like. I hope its just a bad connection. Got a response from the MSD Tech line- among other things he says "Sadly, if the factory wiring works fine there is no point in wiring the MSD system back in." WTF? Am I missing something here?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Perhaps they mean the unit got fried? That's what I was getting at earlier. I mean, there's a reason they are supposed to be wired separately, not simply to cause inconvenience.

Quick Reply: 2005 Neon and MSD Issues