2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Rear Strut Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Crashaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Strut Failure

Has anyone else had any problems with their rear struts failing?

I dropped my AWD R/T off to the dealer about 2 months ago for a thumping sound from the left that I couldnt pin point. They found that the left rear strut had failed. They ordered the part and replaced it a couple days later. No kidding, not 2 days after they replaced the left side I heard the samesound again, very faint but still the same, but this time it was coming from the right side so I took it back. When they were ordering the second strut they said they found a TSB or something about the struts and bushings. So they replaced everything again.
Shooot, I thoughtthey were failing because I was power sliding too much around all the corners on my road this winter...lol

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Brokay
Default RE: Rear Strut Failure

My left rear has failed also andgetting it change on Thursday. I thought mine was from all the off-roading I've been doing.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM
dgpilot

What exactly does it sound like? There are some clunky sounds coming from the back of my SXT when I go over bumps. It's not really loud or that noticable, but it makes me wonder whether I'm noticing it more, or that it's getting louder?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Brokay

With mine I don't have a noise, it's just leaking fluid all over the place.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
nightshade72

Thanks for the information.. I have a really annoying rattle that they were not able to reproduce.. It almost sounded like when I had a borked sway bar link on my magnum.. rattles all the time over small bumps..

Dealership is trying to tell me that is the way it is.. I didn't think that was right. I will take it somewhere else and see if they can diagnose it right. finding the avenger is a rattle box.. hopefully can get it fixed up though..

Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 PM
rapidnet_rick

I have the RT AWD, and I heard noise from the right rear(passenger) side. I had the dealer check it out(1 month ago). They told me that the anti-sway bar bushings were over tightened and needed to be replaced, so they replaced them.

I still hear the noise, but not as bad... Sounds like a dull thumping everytime I hit a bump, even small bumps. Seems to just be the rear passenger side to me.

I guess I will complain again. Will the ole bounce test(Bounce the car up and down by pressing on it. See if the bounce is different, or resistance feels different)work to see if there is a difference betweenthe sides?

What is the correct way to tell if one is failing?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Crashaholic

I have the RT AWD, and I heard noise from the right rear(passenger) side. I had the dealer check it out(1 month ago). They told me that the anti-sway bar bushings were over tightened and needed to be replaced, so they replaced them.

I still hear the noise, but not as bad... Sounds like a dull thumping everytime I hit a bump, even small bumps. Seems to just be the rear passenger side to me.

I guess I will complain again. Will the ole bounce test(Bounce the car up and down by pressing on it. See if the bounce is different, or resistance feels different)work to see if there is a difference betweenthe sides?

What is the correct way to tell if one is failing?
I'm pretty sure the bushingsfor the sway bar are the ones they were talking about.

What exactly does it sound like?
I thought something was rolling around in the trunk and hitting the panels with a slight thud. Then I thought that something under the rear of the car was loose and thumping the undercarriage. I heard it best afterdriving over a seam or crack in the road/bridge. Just enough of a drop to hear it without bottoming out the shock. Some of our cracks in the road up here in Alaska get pretty big. lol

Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 AM
albertaavenger

ive just started to notice this problem( along with all the other avenger problems i have arather large stack of warrantly work orders) i knew it sounded offf i had better burn my car ooops i meen get it fixed

Quick Reply: Rear Strut Failure