2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MPG is killing mee

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
erosmanuel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG is killing mee

$ 100.00 pesos gasoline that are 14 liters (3.7 gallons) and only performance 55 km (34.18 miles) ..
this in te city

in the driveway I fuLL the thank 64 liters( 16.90), I drove a distance of 320 km(198miles ) consumed half of the tank (8.45 gallons) .. This consumption is not so bad

but in the city Only 9.3 MPG [:@]

Please help me! My avenger is 2.4L only 1249 miles .... Use the climate control moderately,only drive in the city, not use step 3000 RPM...

i driven moderated, a/c moderated

Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 AM
PRider
Default RE: MPG is killing mee

Hola Emanuel,

To me that sounds way too high as you just ride on a 'world engine' and not a six banger. However, mine is a 2.0 Ltr (European Specs) which is technically not that far a way from yours and I cannot complain about high comsumption.

Mine sucks about 10.5 Ltrs on 100 km in the city that equals about 22.5 MPG,
on the road it takes just 8.2 ltr on 100 km and that is about 28.8 MPG.

Let your garage have a look on that something must be wrong in my opinion.

Greetz from Germany

Ralf

P.S.: even the 2.7Ltr Charger took much less...

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I would have to agree with PRider and say have it checked out.. But I know fuel consumptioncan be pretty high with these cars.. It could be worse though.. I have the 6 cylinder R/T and get 5 MPG City / 13 Mpg Hwy but that is attributed to my driving style as if I try REALLY hard to be light on the gas pedal I can get the recommended MPG out of it.

Other recommendations are try to keep the car as light as possible and not have a lot of passengers/cargo,
Make sure your tires are inflated correctly.. Possibly try over inflating them as they usually come under inflated as per the tire specs.
Drive your car like you're 114 years old.
I can't attest to it because I haven't purchased one yet but a Stage 1 Jet Chip may help with fuel consumption.

Your mileage is too low to assume dirty plugs, air filter or any other maintenance related issues would be causing it.

There are groups on the Internet obsessed about getting the most mileage out of their cars and should have more tips about getting higher mileage however some of their techniques can be a little dangerous such as not stopping entirely for stop signs/lights, drafting, turning the engine off while moving and starting it up again when needed, taking an exit ramp at 50 mph,but that would be the extreme of the spectrum however they may offer some sensible tips as those were just the ones that stuck in my mind as I thought they were a little above and beyond the concept of getting good gas mileage.

If you want to get obsessive about it check out this wiki as they offer some techniques to try..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiler

Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 AM
JBattley

One other thing to consider is you have not yet broken in your engine. If you scroll deep into this forum, I was initialy complaining about bad fuel economy on my 3.5L previously.

After the engine broke in (around 6000km it dropped consumption).

I used to use 20 liters per 100km, and that dropped to 12L/100km after 6000. If I drive hard, and make lots of noise (and have fun)... I can bring that average back to about 18...

Only thing I can really say is that it will get better if it is engine break in, and you have barely put any real break in time into the engine if you are only at 1300miles.

(Conversion info: 1mile = about 1.6km and 1gallon = 3.5 liters)

Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodpoint JBattley.. I didn't even think of that..

Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
erosmanuel

my avenger is 1615 miles (2600km) but my but my consumption remains the same, I hope to have more mileage and see if it improves consumption...

but in the city Only 9.3 MPG

Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
PRider

Manuel just take your mountain bike that will ease your pain! And than you should show your Venge to a mechanic.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:34 AM
albertaavenger

is my avenger broken ? i get 40+ mpg on highway which here in alberta canada the highways speed is roughly 140+kmh any slower an your a hazard lol but seriously anyone else seing these numbers on the highway at these speeds (twin highway moderate hills )

Quick Reply: MPG is killing mee