2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 AM
jamesinsc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Was this resolved? Or is it an intermittent problem that could not be diagnosed?
It was unresolved as far as I am concerned. The light hasn't come back on again but with a 1000 miles on the car I would like to know why it came on to begin with. Looks like a wait and see.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 PM
nerven59
Default electronic throttle control

My daughter has a 2008 dodge avenger. The throttle control light comes on and the car will only do 10 mph. Found the problem to be the electronic throttle control body. Part was on national back order. Had the dealer get one from another dealer at an extra cost, but the car could not be down for a month waiting for parts. Installed the new part,car is fine. Took the old one apart on the bench and found Dodge's problem with these. PLASTIC GEARS STRIPPED from return spring pressure causing throttle body not to open.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 AM
KristinC007

I was driving a 2010 Dodge Avenger until today right before I had to go to work. My ETC light came on and my car will not start. Looks like I need to make a trade vs attempting to fix????

Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KristinC007
I was driving a 2010 Dodge Avenger until today right before I had to go to work. My ETC light came on and my car will not start. Looks like I need to make a trade vs attempting to fix????
KristinC007,

I'm sorry to hear about your starting issues. In the event the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) indicator light comes on and is flashing, the vehicle can experience power loss and rough idling. In your case, experiencing a no-start concern, it is recommended a system check is performed at your servicing dealer. If the Avenger must be towed, our Roadside Assistance coverage may apply.

Have you had an opportunity to speak with the Service Manager at your dealer?

In addition, I have attached 2 pages from the 2010 Dodge Avenger owners manual that provides details regarding the ETC indicator light (Section 17).

Last edited by DodgeCACares; 04-09-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 PM
tammy527
Default 2011 advenger throttle body

my car has had issues the past month will not accelerate .I called dodge to report it. they tell me there is no recall or complaints .ends up it is the throttle body please let them know if you have problems with yours that way it can eventually be recalled

Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tammy527
my car has had issues the past month will not accelerate .I called dodge to report it. they tell me there is no recall or complaints .ends up it is the throttle body please let them know if you have problems with yours that way it can eventually be recalled

What is your mileage? Did you ask your dealer to call Chrysler or their zone rep?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 PM
msalemme
Default ETC Light 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 L pick up

Im expeirencing rough idling and the ETC light coming on and going off, my truck is still drivable. I just cleaned my air filter, will a dirty filter cause the light to come on because of air flow problems. I have read on other forums of people restting the trucks computer, taking out the pcm fuse, and disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable has anybody done any of these and had them work?

Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 AM
ihatemyavenger

Have had the same issues as the people above with my ETC. First I had a new battery put in and and air throttle cleaned. Ended up costing me $400. Two weeks later light comes back on. I take it back to the shop and have throttle body replaced for another $500. It hasn't even been a week and now my check engine light has come on and noticing some struggles with acceleration. Any ideas what could be causing this after replacing the throttle body?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Xenbob

Been having on and off issues with my 2012 Avenger SXT. Currently has almost 62000 miles and until today the issue has been sporatic with the ETC light turning on, follow the directions in the owners manual turn it off let it sit for a min then it starts back up no issues. Today however it took a turn for the worse...ETC light and check engine light came on and would not go off. Pulled the codes and I am getting:

2101 – Electronic Throttle Control Motor Performance
2110 – Electronic Throttle Control System – Forced RPM
2112 – Electronic Throttle Control System – Unable to Open
2118 – Electronic Throttle Control Motor Current Performance
2173 – High Airflow/Vacuum Leak Detected (Slow Accumulation)

So now I get to go the dealer route to have it looked it...

Last edited by Xenbob; 06-11-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 AM
rmesax

I had the same issue and after spending money on a new throttle-body, the problem ended up being a leaking intake manifold gasket which i found out after getting the 2173 code. I did this repair myself paying $7.00 for the gasket. The dealer wanted to replace the intake manifold and gasket for around $900.00. I tested by spraying carb cleaner near the area where the intake meets the engine and the car stumbled at idle.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss