2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM
cajun0985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how hard was it to do this.....and did your etc light go off after?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:26 PM
manderson4978
Default ETC light comes on in extreme cold I’m talking-20 or colder

Originally Posted by heifetz17
If the shop did not correctly fix the problem the first time, they shouldn't charge you again. If they do, talk to top management or corporate.

There's a flash for these vehicles for the ETC light coming on in extremely cold weather causing false codes due to the cold. Mention this to them next time you go in. Hopefully there's nothing wrong and they can just flash it.
So your saying there is a fault in the system causing my ETC light to flash and run in extreme cold temps like below -20 and colder would cause this problem?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 PM
janaricker
Default 2013 Dodge Avenger Electronic Throttle Control

Just began having problems with the ETC. Dummy lights come on and car shudders and misses. One time the accelerator seemed to speed up on its own. I searched through various sites and found the suggestion to turn the car off, turn the key to run (but do not start), wait until the indicator lights go off, slowly press the gas pedal to the floor, then slowly let it up again, turn the key off wait a few seconds and then start the car. Each time I have done this, the car has run smoothly the rest of the day. But I have to start the process all over again after a few hours of it sitting. I have a local mechanic that would be willing to replace the throttle body for less than what a dealership would - but he isn't sure if after replacing will it need to be calibrated or synced with something. Also, I'm wondering why Dodge hasn't recalled this as it seems to be a serious problem.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:00 AM
avenjeeperger
Amateur

No clear and present danger/treat of huge lawsuit= no recall. Instead it nets lots of $$ for service departments. All related parts can be replaced with basic hand tools. I'm replacing the intake manifold Monday night due to the intake valve business not working. I had two ETC light events happen this week which could be due to the intake manifold gasket being tired as I've had it off 3x trying to get the butterflies to work.News after I'm done.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:33 PM
ZeeVert
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No ETC light for 3 years

I finally sold my Avenger several months ago. The Avenger was a decent car.
After replacing the throttle body, I did not have any ETC lights or problems for 3 years.
It's a cheap and very easy fix. I swear anyone can do it. No programming.

I did not go back to the Dealer, because I was afraid of how I would react around those freaking idiots.
Granted, there are some great mechanics, and I've know a few. But the majority are worthless.
The dealership (managers and owners) is NOT your friend.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:44 AM
avenjeeperger
Amateur

I replaced my intake Saturday. Took about 1.5 hours including numerous bits of fun with the grand kids and son in law working on his truck. I disconnected the battery during the repair and after a 8 mile trip there are not idiot lights on. I"m hoping this solves the problem. If I get the code for the intake valves not opening again I guess I'll have to get another reflash. Every time the stealership has done that something bad happens. Last time my car went from a very enjoyable car that got 31 mpg to a grandma car that only gets 26.. The tech said he "had to do it" and it's to improve emissions. I challenge any dodge exec to explain how a poorer performing car that gets lower mpg is producing less emissions. It has to burn more fuel to do the same job. Burning more fuel = more emissions.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Brett D

Well WTF. Everybody saying the Throttle Body. I replaced the PVC valve. Still ETC flashing and BAS (?) light.Getting worse ,now it happens every few miles.Turn off turn on go a few more miles. OK, so I cleaned theTB and still happening.Now just paid stealerrship 260 for new TB.STILL same crap. I had loved dodge but no more. Now have a worthless piece of metal I cant even trade for a non dodge.Dealer confided you will have this problem till you get rid of car ! What say ye now online dodge customer service ? piece of crap

Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Brett D

PS... Anyone who says dont call the 800 number to report it has some kind of ulterior motive because this is not right.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:40 AM
avenjeeperger
Amateur

Originally Posted by Brett D
Well WTF. Everybody saying the Throttle Body. I replaced the PVC valve. Still ETC flashing and BAS (?) light.Getting worse ,now it happens every few miles.Turn off turn on go a few more miles. OK, so I cleaned theTB and still happening.Now just paid stealerrship 260 for new TB.STILL same crap. I had loved dodge but no more. Now have a worthless piece of metal I cant even trade for a non dodge.Dealer confided you will have this problem till you get rid of car ! What say ye now online dodge customer service ? piece of crap
Did you reset the PCM? A dodge tech here says a prolonged code for it can damage the PCM. Might be possible in your case. Have you had the intake manifold off?If so, gasket could be bad. I'll give you $750 for it!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by brett d
well wtf. Everybody saying the throttle body. I replaced the pvc valve. Still etc flashing and bas (?) light.getting worse ,now it happens every few miles.turn off turn on go a few more miles. Ok, so i cleaned thetb and still happening.now just paid stealerrship 260 for new tb.still same crap. I had loved dodge but no more. Now have a worthless piece of metal i cant even trade for a non dodge.dealer confided you will have this problem till you get rid of car ! What say ye now online dodge customer service ? Piece of crap
lmao.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss