2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2008 Avenger SE - Spark Plugs Replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:08 AM
guapoman2000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 2008 Avenger SE - Spark Plugs Replaced!

Hello good people!

My main goal is to show you a few tips about Spark Plugs and how they are very important to your Avenger's Ignition System. My daughter's 2008 Avenger SE just surpassed 84,000+ original miles and decided to replace the spark plugs. It was just an extremely daunting task to figure out which brand, type of Spark Plug to get as there is just a great amount of selections. To play it safe I decided to go at the Parts Counter over at my local Dodge Dealer and they recommended a Nickel Spark Plug, V-grove and good for 40,000 miles. Why? Because the Avenger is not driven so much and is a pleasure car. The important thing to note is the Heat Classification and in this situation the selection was for a 5 heat rating, the factory recommended.

TIP #1: This is a General wide Brush of ALL About Modern Spark Plugs (excuse VW reference within this Video):

TIP #2: Since the original Spark Plugs that came with my 2008 Avenger SE are NGK's then, here's an informative Video of ALL About NGK Spark Plugs!

TIP #3: Do you need to apply Anti-Cease compound on Spark Plug Threads (Video):

TIP #4: Proper Torque and the use of Anti-Cease Compound (Video):

Procedure:

Tools you will need: (Example):

1. The very first thing is to lift up the large plastic Engine Cover. You do this by applying a gentle upward force of the Engine Cover and make sure you lift UPWARDS so as not to break the Plastic guides.

2. Unscrew the T-20 bolts holding the Igniter Stem to the Valve Cover.

3. Carefully depress the rear tab of each Electrical connector going to the Igniter.

4. Twist and then Pull UP and remove each igniter.

5. Using a Spark Plug Wire socket loosen each Spark Plug and remove from Engine.

6. Take out new Spark Plugs from packaging and check the gap measurement (my case was .043 inch).

7. Insert new Spark Plug on wrench socket and hand tighten to Engine Cylinder Head. (Follow Torque Specifications)

8. Carefully replace all Igniters and screws securing the Igniters and attach the Electrical Cables.

9. Replace the Engine Plastic Cover.

Last edited by guapoman2000; 06-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 AM
guapoman2000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All cleaned and ready for another 40,000 miles on these NGK Nickel V-Grove Spark Plugs!

Quick Reply: 2008 Avenger SE - Spark Plugs Replaced!