2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rmesax
I had the same issue and after spending money on a new throttle-body, the problem ended up being a leaking intake manifold gasket which i found out after getting the 2173 code. I did this repair myself paying $7.00 for the gasket. The dealer wanted to replace the intake manifold and gasket for around $900.00. I tested by spraying carb cleaner near the area where the intake meets the engine and the car stumbled at idle.
P2173 is a vacuum leak detected or high air flow. If the T-body motor fails, this can be ONE of the DTCs, but will be accompanied by a few others. In this instance, the P2173 is a symptom and not the cause.

If P2173 is a solo, then yes I would go after a leak.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Rjohnston69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ashleysm016
I am also having the same problem as everyone else (2013 Avenger SE 2.4) seems to be having. Started but having the electric throttle control light and traction control light come on every now and then when driving (no check engine light). The vehicle would ride ruff and would only go about 20mph. All I had to do is shut the car off and restart it and the light went away and the car drove fine. this happened a few times in the last few weeks until the other day when the light came on when i started the car and wouldn't reset. First I changed the battery which made no change. Then I changed the Throttle body. After changing the throttle body, the car starts okay but randomly while driving the electric throttle body light comes on along with the traction control light and the engine light. I then took it to have the engine codes read. The engine codes read that the throttle body was stuck open and the throttle position sensor (gas pedal) was not functioning properly. So next I replaced the peddle/sensor. I'm still having the electric throttle control light come on along with the engine light and traction control light randomly while driving. On a side not 2 weeks before all this trouble both front windows stopped working they will roll down but not up. First the passenger window stopped working then two days later the driver’s window stopped working.

I did call dodge this morning they told me that they haven't had any complaints like this reported to them. I'm Running out of money and time.
OK! I am going to share my journey on this etc issue. I have a 2008 chrysler sebring 2.4 liter. I purchased this vehicle in 2010, and it has been fairly reliable. A couple years after purchase I had the etc light come on and go into limp mode (30 MPH max). hooked up the scan tool to find low voltage. Replaced the battery and haven't had the issue until about a month ago. I began to look at some things, and noticed I needed a new air cleaner and I cleaned the mass air flow sensor. After Starting and stopping the engine and few times, it came out of it. I forgot to mention that there were no stored codes. So, on Friday, my wife calls me and tells me that "it's doing it again". I told her to turn on the flashers and floor it. Call me when you get home. (Just 5 miles out of town). I decided to change the throttle body this time to see if this would fix the problem. It didn't, go figure. I got in it this morning, 13 degrees, and started it up and rev'd the engine for awhile. Drove it down the road, floored at 30 MPH. Got it back in the Garage and turned it off. went back in the house for about 10 minutes, and went back out and fired it up. it rev'd up to 2000 rpm right away. I knew right then that it came out of it. I have read quite a few posts about cold weather and batteries. I am wondering if these electronics are so sensitive when it comes to voltage. I'm not an electrical engineer, but when this issue comes and goes, I have a hard time understanding how it can be mechanical or electrical components. Now that it's working, I am going to monitor the situation. Everything seems normal, so I'm not afraid to drive it.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM
avenjeeperger
Amateur

Speaking from experience -I own several Grand Cherokees and a Ram in addition to my Avenger-, FCA vehicles are incredibly fussy with regard to electronics. A slightly tired battery can cause havoc. Poor connections/corrosion can cause things to not work or work poorly.That aspect should be on each troubleshooting list.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Rock339

Hey guys, just wanted to throw my experience in and what I did to fix it...
Fitst off, i did the key dance (on-acc-on-acc-on) and looked into the codes that popped up.(P2173, P2118, P0884, & P2110) So I stayed guessing pretty much, and ended buying a brand new throttle body (about $220) I figured out that I needed to replace the gas pedal because it has a throttle sensor on it. I got it off an 08 caliber (is interchangeable) from a pick and pull place for $6 (around $100 brand new)
and yes I tried the old TB worth the new pedal, still threw codes.
so at the end of the day, I had a new TB installed, and replaced the gas pedal, then I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes to erase the codes and..... so far so good... will try to update father down the road.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:31 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeeVert

I'm at 3 months on the new throttle body. No issues, and wasn't expecting any, after I tore the TB apart and found the extremely worm gear teeth.
Where did you get the replacement part? My wife's car is at 99k miles. Haven't seen these issues yet, but anything can happen.

It won't fix a bad throttle valve, but it may be worth your while to make a ground wire for the throttle valve. I put one on the wife's car. Main difference I notice is that the car doesn't hesitate off idle like it used to.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:59 PM
wildfan1833
Default My 2008 Dodge avenger 2.4L

So since I started driving my wife's car since she took the new vehicle. I have been having the same problems as everyone else on here. Some days nothing happens and some days the throttle body light will come on and if the engine goes over 3k rpm than I loss all power and have to pull over. And when I do pull over I put the car in park and the engine just shakes to I turn it off. So I have already replaced the throttle body last week. And yesterday I replaced the gas pedal. Should be good right? Nope the darn light came on again but I didn't lose power or have to pull over. WTF is going on.

Do I replace the spark plugs now or maybe the fuel injectors?

When I replaced the throttle body I forgot to plug it in. So when I started it the check engine light came on . So I went in and had the codes read and they were both for the throttle body which I kinda thought they would be. But no other codes. I have a 132,500 miles on it. What else should I do?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 PM
Rock339

Originally Posted by wildfan1833
So since I started driving my wife's car since she took the new vehicle. I have been having the same problems as everyone else on here. Some days nothing happens and some days the throttle body light will come on and if the engine goes over 3k rpm than I loss all power and have to pull over. And when I do pull over I put the car in park and the engine just shakes to I turn it off. So I have already replaced the throttle body last week. And yesterday I replaced the gas pedal. Should be good right? Nope the darn light came on again but I didn't lose power or have to pull over. WTF is going on.

Do I replace the spark plugs now or maybe the fuel injectors?

When I replaced the throttle body I forgot to plug it in. So when I started it the check engine light came on . So I went in and had the codes read and they were both for the throttle body which I kinda thought they would be. But no other codes. I have a 132,500 miles on it. What else should I do?
I thought it fixed on my wife's car also. But I couldn't figure a damn thing out. I ended up taking to the dealer and it's been there 6 weeks, and they're still trying to figure it out....

by the way, since you replaced the throttle body, it needs to go to the dealer to get calibrated.

Ill be be sure to post back if the dealer can figure out what's going on with mine

Old 02-25-2017, 07:30 AM
avenjeeperger
Amateur

If your car is there for 6 weeks I'd go get it. They are just having someone plug it in and look at it between projects. No real "work" being done. If they can't solve it in a week (too long IMHO) take it elsewhere. Since I also have Jeeps, one thing we Jeep people have noticed is the relative battery strength is a big issue. Have that tested.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:55 PM
ZeeVert

I changed my TB about 2.5 years ago. Still good.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:13 PM
ZeeVert

Originally Posted by davb673
Where did you get the replacement part? My wife's car is at 99k miles. Haven't seen these issues yet, but anything can happen. .....

It's been about 2.5 years. I got it on Ebay. $200 for new OEM.
p/n 0489 1735 AC for 2011 Avenger

Based on my experience and others comments.... if you suspect an electronics issue, have your battery checked, and maybe just replace it.
$100-150? is a bunch, but it's less than that first trip to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss