2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM
bigfire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss

I am having an ongoing issue with my ETC, but was hoping to get some advise before taking back to the shop that already worked on it (car is past warranty-miles).

What happens is (mostly when car has not been driven and it is very cold (WI resident)) the car drives normally until needing to get on freeway. IF the problem occurs (doesn't always), I will lose horsepower and only be able to get the car up to 2000 RPMs with the ETC light flashing.

Once I am able to get off the highway, I have found I am able to reset the sensor by getting into park, turning off, and restarting.

No problems have occured once sensor is reset (same day). It also seems to affect whether or not the car can shift into overdrive whether light is on or not.

The shop I took it to indicated they removed ice and claimed the air filter was dirty which led to crystals on the throttle body. Air Filter was replaced, and after $180, (charging for the scanner hookup) they sent me on my way.

Will shops generally charge again for work done if a customer has to return for the same problem? I haven't had to get real shop work done yet (luckily) but don't feel I should have to pay for them to hook up the stupid code scanner again only to not be able to find a permanent solution!

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
heifetz17

If the shop did not correctly fix the problem the first time, they shouldn't charge you again. If they do, talk to top management or corporate.

There's a flash for these vehicles for the ETC light coming on in extremely cold weather causing false codes due to the cold. Mention this to them next time you go in. Hopefully there's nothing wrong and they can just flash it.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 AM
daw000x1

If you haven't had the problem fixed yet, you may want to go to another shop. It sound like it could also be caused by something in your torque converter (since your not able to get over 2k rpm or shift in to O/D.) May be a bad Solenoid . This will also reset when you turn the car off and then back on.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
DESIREESAVENGER
Rookie

It's not the torque converter. That was funny though.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
jland742003
Default Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) ALL DODGE / CHRYSLER

TO EVERYONE,

Please report your electronic throttle control issue to Chrysler Customer Care at 1-800-992-1997 IMMEDIATELY!!! They do not know how to fix, new battery, air filter and ice removal does not fix it. I paid $700 out of pocket, and finally they realized they had to replace the ETC. However, its just replaced. The new one could malfunction as well. I learned today that people are not reporting it. When you report it, get a CONFIRMATION COMPLAINT NUMBER. This number by law, is sent to N.H.T.S.A. who mandates the recalls. I promise you if you don't IT WILL COST YOU LATER. Service repair does not have the answer, they just find anything and hope it works, leaving you with unnecessary costs.

TAKE MY WORD PLEASE.

ALSO REPORT YOUR ISSUE TO N.H.T.S.A. at 888-327-4236. I did and I got my check back for unnecessary charges that Service Repair charged me. $248.00. NEVER LOSE YOUR RECEIPTS AND INVOICES, KEEP FOREVER!!! YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR RECALL REIMBURSEMENTS!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM
amadeus_rex
Unhappy

Having the same problem, except its not related to the cold. In fact, that is why I registered here. Dealer say the need to replace the throttle body. Have reported to Chrysler Care Center and NHTSA. I have seen a lot of people posting around the net about having the same problem on various Dodge models. Seems to me that Chrysler/Dodge should take a close look at the ETC they are putting on their vehicles.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
jland742003
Default Reminder

Please Report your ETC issues. This problem will never go away until it is recalled. As of now, people are STILL having this problem from 2000 til 2011. This will always be an out of pocket expense, unless the CONSUMERS can get these cars recalled; Chrysler will continue to call these isolated incidents until the CONSUMERS make them do their job. HUNDREDs HAVE paid to fix the problem. IT WILL RETURN, THEY are putting the same dysfunctional parts back into your car. Anyday could malfunction AGAIN. DO NOT LISTEN to Dodge Repair guys, they will not tell you what they know. They will only say what the diagnoses machine will print out. I confronted them and got my money back for the crap they tried to get away with: telling me what could be wrong, charging me AND KNEW THEY HAD NO CLUE. If your ETC light comes on, YOU ARE GETTING READY FOR A LONG DRAMATIC EXPERIENCE. Be proactive, do something! Stop spending your money and time on them. Your warranty will not cover this issue.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
jenniferdavis0515
Angry Electronic Throttle Control (ETC Light) Problems

My husband and I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger with about 90,000 miles on it and we have been having the same problem for about a year now. Fortunately (or unfortunately however you look at it) we have a mechanic that keeps temporarily fixing the problem so the car is driveable but each time it is costing us about $150. He says we need a new Electronic Throttle Control Box which costs about $1100 to replace. I'm getting very frustrated with this car because we have baby on the way and the Avenger is our only 4-door car. Anyway-the ETC light flashes and sometimes turning the engine off resets it but not always. And my husband is the primary driver of that car right now because of the problems. I'm getting VERY frustrated with this DODGE product. We will report this to Chrysler and NHSTA but they need to SERIOUSLY think about a recall, especially for all of us poor people.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 PM
beebaby07
Default electronic throttle control

i have a 08 dodge avenger and the red lighting bolt keeps coming on and i loose all power to my car almost like i am in neutral. now i don't make a lot of money and the car is no longer under warrenty, so what do i do to fix this problem of mine with the car. Dodge said it's just $95 just to look at the car but i read what everyone said and i'm worried i'm going to have problems even if i pay to have them fix it. what do i do somebody please help.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:44 AM
jland742003
Default Respond to the Last ETC red light.

I wish I had something comforting to tell you. Dodge is aware of this issue and will not instruct the auto repair to give you information. They will take you through around the same bush they have taken us. First they will tell you to stop and restart your car. Saying this usually fixes the problem. That cost a hundred dollars just to tell you that. Then they will say we will replace the battery, because this will fix the problem. cost $250 for the avenger, that will not fix the problem. Then they will say you need a new Electronic Throttle Control which can cost $500 to $800 depending on what state you are in. They have been other costly suggestions they will use before they will ask you to replace it. IT NEEDS TO BE RECALLED. They will not recall it until they have been MADE TO RECALL IT. They will deny this isssue and the repair guys are required to respond the way the diagnostic computer tell thems to. They will not tell you the truth. They cover the fact that they know this has been an issue since 2003. We believe we will get our money back, but it can take up to years for a recall. KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS, even if you sell the car you will get monies back from repairs related to the ETC, but you have to report it to the agency we listed above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss