2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2008 Avenger Brake "skidding" noise + light

Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 AM
belrose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Avenger Brake "skidding" noise + light

Hi everyone,

I drive a 2008 Avenger with approximately 63,000 miles on it. I bought it a year ago with 43,000 and haven't had any major issues so far.

I driver 35 miles to work (each way) everyday, and up until yesterday everything was fine. Today when I made my first stop, the car felt weird. So I lowered the music and started paying attention.

The next time I hit the brakes, my brake light on the dashboard came on. I checked my emergency brake, and it was completely released. When I started moving again, the light went off and did not come up again.

Even still, everytime I stepped on the brakes, I could hear and feel a "skidding" noise / feel. Not the "squeaking" skidding noise, but almost like the car was going to slide (it didn't)... like the noise of skidding in the rain. It would mainly do this when I was braking under 20 miles per hour or suddenly.

I have not had a chance to take it in anywhere, and I am very nervous about driving 35 miles home on a highway like that. I'm also out of the warranty.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Izabel

Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
daw000x1

Well, if it is only happening when you hit the brakes, then it is probably a braking problem. Does it fell like your car is pulling to one side or the other? Any loss in stop?

-If you have the ECS, it could be a problem here.
->also if you have the ECS, you could
have uneven brake wear, check your
brake pads and discs
-Could be a Bad Caliper (always replace in pairs)
-Check your pads and discs for wear and grinding

Most Importantly, if you are unsure, take it to a knowledgeable mechanic. NEVER drive with brakes that you are unsure about...

...the most important part of any car is the ability to make it stop.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
stoddern

my GF and I had this problem aswell, we noticed that one of the front rotors was warped and causeing a vibration and when the brakes where applied the dash light came on, I took a guess and was correct in the light was because of low brake fluid how ever instead of adding fluid I replaced the front rotors and pads first and as I suspected this fixed the problem as due to the older the pads and rotors are they will wear and cause the caliper to move more to make contact and by replacing with new parts the caliper needs to have less throw to make the pads contact the rotor thus useing less fluid and making th efluid lvl rise back to where it should be. I used direct replacment upgrade slotted rotors and matching semi ceramic pads from EBC a british company and what a differance the brakes are alil louder but not that much and the performance gain is unreal when the rear pads need to be replaced I will be upgrading rotors and pads with the same as the front

Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM
morser

Hello.
This thread came up during a search for the same symptom.

Except my 2010 Dodge RT has done this since I got it.
I take a highway home and my off ramp is a gentle down slope curve to the right. By the time I get to the stop sign the red brake light comes on. I can reproduce this all the time. Only yesterday did it happen when I was coming to a smooth straight stop from 80km. It seems to happen during long gentle braking maneuvers.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check brake fluid level. if it is close to the LOW arrow line, check ur brake pads, might need brake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Avenger Brake "skidding" noise + light