2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

need help 08 avenger v6 2.7L please!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
at485
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy need help 08 avenger v6 2.7L please!!!!!!

i bought a 08 avenger 2.7L v6 in may of 2007 i think thats where i went wrong, any ways 4 years later and 80000 miles on it, the oil pump went out while driving on the freeway, i did make a little knocking sound but stopped as fast as i could, got the car home, found a mechanic,it was a nightmare just to get to the oil pump after taking half the engine apart finally finished, i start thr car sounds good no noise then from no where i get a loud rattling /ticking noise it does not get louder when u drive it or rev the engine , the check engine is not on, the car runs smooth, and is smooth on idle, anyone have any ideas, i did have to take the timing chain off but put it back the same way could it be loose and the car still run smooth, its not under warranty and im broke cuz i just bought a house 2 months ago, some one please help and thanks

Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would start by removing the belt to see if the noise goes away. Could be something like the alternator or an idler pulley bearing.
Also check for an exhaust leak.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:25 PM
TheAvenger08
Angry I'm afraid i have had the same deal here...

My oil pump has never went out but i seem to have a ticking noise coming from my engine compartment, which does not surprise me... I have had the worst luck with dodge... I'm a 22 year old and this was the first dodge I ever bought, sadly enough I work for Ford, I put faith into Dodge anyway. I was young at the time when I bought my avenger, 19 with a new baby boy... I'm not dumb I am a subsequent owner as well as the car has 100,000 miles on it, I am outside of any assistance on warranty... but these repairs cost me out of pocket... i have had a/c compressor go out... checking to see if its leaking at an o-ring somewhere or the actual compressor is bad... the window gear on the driver's side door has gone bad, as well as the Recall long before it became a recall happened to me about the shifter... I have had rotor and brake issues that I now read have become an ongoing issue with other avenger drivers... i just really really want to find out why my car is ticking and make it go away

Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you bought the car Used or new?
Maybe it could be a loose timing chain. or something in the accessory. Why not take it back to the same mechanic? I am pretty sure he will look at it for free since you just spent a lot of money with him.

regarding the recall, if you got it fixed at a shop/dealership, you can ask them to print u a reciept out of their record and mail it to chrysler, chrysler will give you all or most of your money back.

brake wise, I dont see a lot of problem with Avenger. It is a pretty reliable car, exeept the fact that the 2.7l engine is probably one of the worst engine you can get from chrysler

Last edited by steak59; 03-25-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
TheAvenger08

Yesterday I took off the serpentine belt -- the noise sounded like it was coming from the power steering pump, when I took the belt off the noise went away, with me being a subsequent (meaning I bought used) owner, I have to pay for my repairs out of pocket... I am taking the car in for a diag. at a dodge dealership wednesday... hopefully 59.95 diag. fee will tell me whats wrong, I'm just worried about the cost after that... most car companies after 100,000 miles kick you to the curb... trust me I work for Ford... I sure hope it's not the timing belt, cost of repairs would get ugly then... But of course vehicle has 100,000 miles on it, I have kept very good records with maintenance but again every dang repair I have to have is something I feel is a defect. Btw I received a check back in 2010 regarding the Recall, my only concern now is the ticking/grining noise coming from engine compartment

Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if it is from the P/S pump, does it get louder when you Turn the steering wheel?
there is a TSB to replace the P/S reservoir with a redesigned one. It is A LOT taller than the original one to dampen the noise.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
TheAvenger08

Dealership advised that the alternater was making all the noise... then wanted to charge me almost 700 bucks to fix it... and couldnt guarentee it was making the noise... or at least all the noise...

Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAvenger08
Dealership advised that the alternater was making all the noise... then wanted to charge me almost 700 bucks to fix it... and couldnt guarentee it was making the noise... or at least all the noise...

Here is the TSB that steak is referring to in his post.

NUMBER: 19-001-09
GROUP: Steering
DATE: January 22, 2009

SUBJECT:
Power Steering Honk, Moan Or Grinding Sound On Left Turns
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the power steering reservoir with a revised (taller) reservoir
and bleeding the power steering system.
MODELS:
2009 (JC) Journey
**2007 - 2009 (JS) Sebring/Avenger/Sebring Convertible**
NOTE: **This bulletin does not apply to vehicles built for Europe or Japan**.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to **JC** vehicles built prior to September 3, 2008 (MDH
0903XX) **or JS vehicles built prior to January 29, 2009 (MDH 0129XX)**.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customers may hear a honk moan or grinding sound when performing hard left turns
while accelerating or decelerating.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM
taffyman

Hi, I'm having the same issues with my dodge avenger 2008.... I have a knocking noise which comes through the steering column after driving for about 25 mins...did you get the problem resolved...any suggestions!? Do you still have the car or should I getn ride of mine if there are going to be lots of problems? Many thanks for any advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help 08 avenger v6 2.7L please!!!!!!