2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MIL light is on

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:51 PM
mellyvision
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL light is on

Hello everyone

Sorry, I have already posted this but I think I put it in the wrong place. :-(

I purchased a 2009 Avenger STX with 64k miles on it around 9 months ago.
It's great, I love it.

Around a month ago the MIL light came on so I checked in the handbook to see what the problem was.

It mentioned "loose gas cap" as one possibility and "poor grade fuel" as another.

The gas cap was indeed not properly fitted, the plastic wire that connects it had become trapped underneath.
I thought I'd solved it.

Sadly not, the light stayed on while I drove it around for a few days.

I took it to my local shop, they replaced the sensor and cleaned out the intake manifold.

The light stayed off for a few days and then came on again.

I ran the fuel really low and bought gas at a different filling station.
I drove for 50 miles then the light went off..... for a day.

The code I'm getting (according to the shop) is as follows:

P2017 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor Circuit High

I'm going to take it back for them to have another look at it next week but wondered if any of you guys had any suggestions as to what the problem may actually be?

Many thanks in advance

Melly

Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to replace the Intake Manifold, and update PCM software. for code P2017

Oh yeah, they are covered under Powertrain warranty. And I think your car should have 5 yr 100k miles warranty. Check with your dealer.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 PM
mellyvision

Hiya steak59

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for not responding sooner.
You suggest replacing the manifold completely. Does this mean that the code leads you to think that the manifold may be damaged in some way?

Also, by updating the software do you mean have the code reset (my local shop can do this) or is this something that needs to be downloaded to the car and can only be done by a Dodge dealer?

Thanks for your time

melly

Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mellyvision
Hiya steak59

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for not responding sooner.
You suggest replacing the manifold completely. Does this mean that the code leads you to think that the manifold may be damaged in some way?

Also, by updating the software do you mean have the code reset (my local shop can do this) or is this something that needs to be downloaded to the car and can only be done by a Dodge dealer?

Thanks for your time

melly
There is a TSB on this case, and I believe the shaft inside the intake manifold broke off.

Software update can only be done with the right equipment. All dealers have them. SOME independent shops would buy such equipment. But I can not tell you with one does and doesn't, you have to call them and ask if they have a Chrysler factory scanner or a J2534 programmer for Chrysler.

I am not sure what exactly the update does, but maybe it is programing the computer to reduce the torque so it doesn't break the shaft in the future?

Have you check with your dealer on your powertrain warranty?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM
mellyvision

I've called them and they said it could be covered by the power train warranty, depending on what it actually is that's wrong.

I've just got to sort out a time when I can take it to them as it's quite a drive.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a TSB?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mellyvision
Pardon my ignorance but what is a TSB?

Technical Service Bulletin. Adendums inserted into the dealer service information as repeated common issues are discovered in the field.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 AM
mellyvision

Originally Posted by steak59
You need to replace the Intake Manifold, and update PCM software. for code P2017

Oh yeah, they are covered under Powertrain warranty. And I think your car should have 5 yr 100k miles warranty. Check with your dealer.
Well, it's sorted and you were exactly right. Many thanks

Sadly the car only had a 3 year power train warranty so it ended up costing me $650 :-(

Quick Reply: MIL light is on