2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

weird clicking sound on idle

Old 08-24-2014, 11:21 AM
ntjt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird clicking sound on idle

It can be heard on idle when engine is warm it comes from the front right corner somewhere. Has gone louder and more frequent. Here is a video of it when i first noticed the clicks. It is not rhytmic or anything. http://youtu.be/8aEKGbSksTo any ideas?
Engine is 2.4 4cylinder.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ntjt
It can be heard on idle when engine is warm it comes from the front right corner somewhere. Has gone louder and more frequent. Here is a video of it when i first noticed the clicks. It is not rhytmic or anything. http://youtu.be/8aEKGbSksTo any ideas?
Engine is 2.4 4cylinder.
ntjt,

I'm sorry to learn of your increasing noise. What model year is your Avenger? How long have you noticed the noise? Have you had an opportunity show your servicing dealer yet?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 AM
ntjt

It is 2008 model SE. I bought a car mechanic's stetoscope and I am pretty sure the random clicking is coming from the obnoxious alternator pulley. The sound is strongest, when i put the stetoscope near the alternator shaft. I ordered a new pulley from Amazon and it should arrive to Finland on september 9-12.
I have already changed the oil from 10w40, which works good in our cold temperatures, to 5w30 to rule out the lifters. Put in new Denso twintip sparks also.
Now i am just waiting for the pulley. The sound i first noticed after my gearbox oil change last week. It has become a bit louder and more frequent since. With the car warm it is even louder and almost constant. And as seen on the vid, it is coming from the serpentine belt area where power steering pump, ac and alternator are located. I get 0 faultcodes from obd and the alternator does over 14volts according to ecu.

Thanks for the response and I will update the situation, once the pulley arrives.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

It is 2008 model SE. I bought a car mechanic's stetoscope and I am pretty sure the random clicking is coming from the obnoxious alternator pulley. The sound is strongest, when i put the stetoscope near the alternator shaft. I ordered a new pulley from Amazon and it should arrive to Finland on september 9-12.
I have already changed the oil from 10w40, which works good in our cold temperatures, to 5w30 to rule out the lifters. Put in new Denso twintip sparks also.
Now i am just waiting for the pulley. The sound i first noticed after my gearbox oil change last week. It has become a bit louder and more frequent since. With the car warm it is even louder and almost constant. And as seen on the vid, it is coming from the serpentine belt area where power steering pump, ac and alternator are located. I get 0 faultcodes from obd and the alternator does over 14volts according to ecu.

Thanks for the response and I will update the situation, once the pulley arrives.
ntjt,

Thanks for the follow-up. Keep us posted on the results if you can!

Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 PM
ntjt

Problem solved. It was the alternator decoupler pulley gone bad/stuck.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

Problem solved. It was the alternator decoupler pulley gone bad/stuck.
ntjt,

I'm happy to hear everything is back to normal!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weird clicking sound on idle