2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Brown gel in coolant bottle...2013 Avenger

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 AM
2004 D-Rang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown gel in coolant bottle...2013 Avenger

Just had my car in for an oil change and they notice brown gel in my coolant bottle. They said that "I must of mixed the antifreeze", which I didn't because the car only has 35000km. Does anyone have information on why my coolant bottle has brown gel? They also told me that I should have the coolant flushed soon.
Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If you took it to a "jiffy lube" place (which I would never do), they will tell you all kinds of things to try and upsell. Did you look yourself or just take the word of the employee who told you this? You are still under factory warranty, correct? If you are concerned, take it in to the dealer. As far as the coolant flush, what interval for coolant replacement does your owners manual recommend?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 PM
2004 D-Rang

I brought the car in at the dealership where a purchased the vehicle, they are the ones that told me about the coolant and also showed me the issue. And they recommended that I get the coolant flushed asap, but as for the owners manual it shows not till 95000km. Should this issue be covered under warranty?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

OK, thats different. Thank you for clarifying. I would inquire of them their thoughts on 1) what the "brown gel" is, 2) where it came from and 3) if it is covered by warranty.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Corks
Professional

I have the samething. When I talked to my local dealer they said that my antifreeze was the correct color and hadn't appeared to be mixed with any other.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004 D-Rang
I brought the car in at the dealership where a purchased the vehicle, they are the ones that told me about the coolant and also showed me the issue. And they recommended that I get the coolant flushed asap, but as for the owners manual it shows not till 95000km. Should this issue be covered under warranty?
I agree with JKeaton about asking the dealer additional questions.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:45 AM
jimgcastle

Have you had any issues with the heater not providing heat on the passenger side of the vehicle? Dodge has an issue with the HOAT coolant used in the Avengers. Under certain conditions, the silicates will precipitate out of the coolant, polymerize, and form gel. This gel will clog up the heater core, and eventually the radiator and oil cooler. The first symptom you get is loss of heat on the passenger side of the vehicle. If the dealer found gel in the coolant bottle of the car, they should refer to Star Case S1207000008. It will instruct them how to deal with the issue. If the car is still covered under the 3Yr/36,000 warranty, MAKE THEM DO IT. You CANNOT flush the gel out of the system. You must replace the heater core, radiator, oil cooler, radiator cap, and coolant bottle. Additionally, the block must be reverse flushed with a caustic cooling system cleaner to dissolve the gel. The gel IS NOT water soluble, so you must use the cleaner. If they just flush and ot replace anything, the problem will come back after the warranty is out and you will pay big $$$ to get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Brown gel in coolant bottle...2013 Avenger