2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Key doesn't turn

Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Doomtionary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key doesn't turn

Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with my 2008 Avenger where in the mornings when it's below freezing (usually below 30 F) and I try to start my car but the key in the ignition will not turn. I can use the remote start and the ignition will start but as soon as I put the key into the ignition the engine shuts off. I have tried my spare set of keys as well and the same thing happens to them so I don't think it's because the key has gone bad. If I leave the car sitting for awhile and come back when it is warmer the key will turn. Any suggestions before I take it to the dealership?

Thank you.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:48 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What type of engine do you have, Doomtionary? I can search for a potential TSB that could be related to what you're experiencing.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Your key cylinder is seizing up from the aged lubricant they use to build them. What you can do is get a dummy key cut (all metal) and tap the end of it with a hammer and it will turn. Don't strike your fob key or you'll kill it. At least it will save you a tow bill anyway. They're easy to replace. Probably get charged an hour labor plus parts and a small charge to code the new cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key doesn't turn