2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

08 avenger help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 AM
bonesbmx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 avenger help please

Thanks in advance guys....

When i shift from park to reverse the front end seats itself like normal but then the is an extra clunk. It just started a week ago. Its only happens sometimes and its only from park to reverse and neutral to reverse. Stick shift moves fine and all my shifts are smooth with no problems. Ive read that it could possibly be the shift solenoid but my shifts are smooth with no issues. Any thoughts guys? Your help is appreated.
Thanks (115,000 kms)

Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Motor/trans mounts could be getting bad, allowing excess movement.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:48 PM
bonesbmx
Amateur
Default Where to buy a shift solinoid?

Hey guys
I believe my trans is a 41tes. Who sells the trans shift solinoid besides the dealer. All i can find is the 41te.
Thanks

Old 12-04-2016, 03:41 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Have you had the Motor/Trans mounts checked?
Or are you just asking for advice to ignore it?

Old 12-04-2016, 04:04 PM
bonesbmx
Amateur

actually I was asking because I like to look things up and research everything before I change anything. I got reading about the sensors and solenoids and just wanted to make sure I knew what everything looked like and where to find the parts I MAY need. I do intend to start with the mounts.
I build classic cars and have learned the hard way that not enough info or not knowing where to buy certain parts can be a bitch so I ask questions and look things up for all the possibilities I may run into. also figured the info will most likely come in handy later as trans work is not my cup of tea. especially newer cars.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:43 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

If you take good care of the trans, it will take good care of you. Follow the severe maintenance schedule (15-20k IIRC), add a trans cooler, use only ATF+4.
I've had many A604 variants take me well over 200k without fault, I maintain them religiously.
A read thru here may be useful http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Keep up on the trans and you shouldn't have to worry about fixing it.

Wasn't trying to be an ***, just seemed like you were asking for advice, but planning on doing your own thing regardless.

IIRC the Solenoid pack interchanges between a lot of vehicles and years. Anything with an A604 variant.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM
bonesbmx
Amateur

Thanks for the info. After searching around i found one of the rear mounts is wore out so ill start with that and go from there. Thanks for the link also. Its got some good suggestions.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

You are welcome. Worn mounts will definitely cause your issue.
I would suggest seeing if you can get Poly mounts and replace all of them at once. They're a little more pricey, but they last longer and offer a better more direct feel.
Doing all of them at once is important regardless as installing one new will almost always cause the remaining mounts to fail from the change in geometry with the new mount.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Also check your front axle shafts, Loose nuts will also cause a clunk sound too.