2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

'08 Avenger trunk lid disaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 PM
MelCole
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 Avenger trunk lid disaster

Hi. Have an 08 Avenger since it was new. Today the trunk lid stopped working. Neither the fob nor the dashboard button will get the trunk open. I can't get to the manual release because my wheelchair's in the trunk. I can't get the chair out thru the back seats because..... logistics and I simply can't get it to move out of the way. THAT problem aside, can I be assured that if I buy and replace the whole latch mechanism that THAT will resolve the problem? (disabled widow, seriously limited income and can't really afford to take it to the dealer for *diagnostics* and then a repair.)

Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Check and see if there is a fuse blown.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM
MelCole
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the first thing I checked. Then realized the fob and dash button *want* to open the trunk. The lights blink when the fob switch is actuated and the latch makes a dull clink noise but doesn't release. The dash button also makes the normal *electrical* noise, but again, won't let the deck lid go. So my impression is something wore out/broke in the mechanism itself. (10 years of rugged service on the poor beast and there's bound to be some weird stuff beginning to happen )

I have someone coming at the weekend to get the chair out of the trunk so I'll be able to at least LOOK at the mechanism. Until then, I was sorta hoping that someone had a similar issue and if I bite the bullet and order a new latch mech, I can have that put in after we get the trunk opened.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 PM
GerryCDJR
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you can hear something mechanically working or buzzing most likely the issue is going to be with the trunk latch it self. Working at a dealership I know we see a number of these issues come in, not necessarily with only the Avenger but different models as well and most of the time its the latch that has broken and wont release any longer.