2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

08 Avenger not shifting out of park

Old 09-20-2021, 06:44 PM
dmbittorf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Avenger not shifting out of park

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger that is not coming out of park. I believe it is something electrical because we are also having issues with the brake lights. I ruled out all of the common issues such as the shift cable, and replaced the brake light switch. I am not getting power to the shift interlock solenoid even after replacing the brake light switch. I notice when we get in the car with the ignition switch off and push brake pedal, there are no brake lights. When the car is started and you push brake pedal, the brake lights work, but the shift interlock solenoid still gets no power. When you lift your foot off the brake, the brake remains on for approximately 1 minute. I have also replaced the ignition switch and the ECM and dash cluster.

Looking for any other thoughts or solutions

Thanks!

Last edited by dmbittorf; 09-20-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Set the park brake and go under the hood. Remove the cable from the transmission. Go inside the vehicle and move the shifter. Does it move. If it does, its not the cable. Try moving the transmission level at the transmission and try to take it out of park. If that is good. Then the problem is with the shift interlock circuit. I would try a Brake light switch, since it is part of the interlock circuit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Avenger not shifting out of park