3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

Location of a o2 upstream oxygen sensor.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
catawissarocket
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of a o2 upstream oxygen sensor.

Hi, new here to the forum. i have a 05 ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi and i need to replace the 02 upstream oxygen sensor, where is that actually located in the exhaust? went bad afew months ago and got to apoint that the truck hesitates and stalled out on me the other day.. rpm up and down.. is it easy to replace? also is this only a dealership part or can i get one autozone or somewhere else? thanks guys in advance..

Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
shortburb
Rookie

upstream is PRE cat

easy job. unplug the o2 and remove it

thread the new one in and plug it up

if its 4wd make sure it doesnt rub on the front driveshaft (driverside)

Old 03-21-2010, 11:32 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get an O2 sensor at any auto parts store. I think in 04 they made them with 4 sensors, since there's 2 cats (2 before, 2 after). Someone will chime in to either support what I've said or refute it. My parts book says I should have 4 with 2 cats, but in reality (as in looking under the truck) I have only 2 with 1 cat. I recommend getting up in there and visually verifying it yourself before you buy anything. Hell, if you pull one down you can even get a part number off it.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
catawissarocket
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
You can get an O2 sensor at any auto parts store. I think in 04 they made them with 4 sensors, since there's 2 cats (2 before, 2 after). Someone will chime in to either support what I've said or refute it. My parts book says I should have 4 with 2 cats, but in reality (as in looking under the truck) I have only 2 with 1 cat. I recommend getting up in there and visually verifying it yourself before you buy anything. Hell, if you pull one down you can even get a part number off it.
Yea it has 4 sensors.two before and two after. i had it coded and they said it was a upstream sensor but i have to a call them tomorrow and ask if its the left or right side. it didn't state on the invoice which side. this was back in november when i had it checked so i hope it's still in their computer if not i'll have to replace both sides, i'm not paying again to throw it on a computer.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It won't say which side, it will just say upstream sensor.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It tells you what side it is when it is the downstream sensor, so the code should tell you the same for the upstream. It will say something like sensor "2/2" where the first number tells the side and the second is up or downstream. Or it might be the other way around but it will tell you what side the code is for.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, it will say bank 1 or 2 and upstream (between engine and cat) or downstream (after cat). Bank 1 is the side with cylinder #1. Bank 2 is the opposite. On GM and Dodge, Bank 1 is the driver side. On a Ford it is the passenger side.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
catawissarocket
Professional

That's what has me stumped, you think on the invoice it would say which side. maybe i'll just replace both and have it over with.. going to autozone tomorrow to pick both of them up. have off work so might as well do it.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

autozone should be able to tell you what side is bad they do free scans rght

Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catawissarocket
That's what has me stumped, you think on the invoice it would say which side. maybe i'll just replace both and have it over with.. going to autozone tomorrow to pick both of them up. have off work so might as well do it.
Replacing both can get expensive, especially if you go with the factory replacement part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Location of a o2 upstream oxygen sensor.