Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help: P0700, 0720, 0733, Limp Mode Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 AM
tuffkix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help: P0700, 0720, 0733, Limp Mode Tranny

Hey Dodgeforum members,

Im looking for a little advice, I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, with the 3.3L V6 with 229k miles, going on original everything. And mostly everything works perfectly save for the rear wiper.

Just the other day I was on the interstate and had to pass someone, so I gave a little gas and the car just revved! I babied it back home, scanned it, and got these three error codes:

P0700: Transmission requests MIL light
P0720: Output speed sensor malfunction
P0733: Gear 3 improper gear ratio

Now the car moves and drives and stuff, but only stays in 1st and 2nd gear. If it tries to shift into 3rd, the engine revs and thats it.

So, what should I do with the car? I have one week to get it fixed, and I would like to DIY it. Time is not an issue, and I am mechanically inclined, but in little way a mechanic.

Should I take it to the dealer, have them scan the TCM, and post here and you guys can help me out??

Or, what would one of you more experienced persons do in my situation?

I worry as if I broke a hard part in the transmission, and if I have, would I need to pull the transmission? Or is it repairable in the vehicle?

What is the normal method for pulling the transmission? Dropping the cradle or out the top?

Please offer your advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Old 03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
tuffkix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I went to the dealer, paid the $90 and had them diagnose the problem.

They say I need a new transmission, so Im calling around the wreckers, and I found one with 9k miles, off a same year same engine Caravan, for $525 with 90 day warranty, so it seems like a good deal and Im off to go buy that.

One of the wreckers adviced me that I need to do a TCM flash after replacement of the transmission, is this true? Even if it is the same transmission and whatnot?

Any words of advice?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
It is a good ideal to update the TCM. But not really,because your pinion factor is already set up in your controller. Its your call.

Quick Reply: Help: P0700, 0720, 0733, Limp Mode Tranny