4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seats? Leather or Premium Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:40 AM
ksmithwick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats? Leather or Premium Cloth

I am getting ready to purchase my new Dodge. My question is for current owners which would you prefer, leather or cloth?

I would like to hear the pro's and con's of each.

Any leather owners wish they would have gotten cloth or vice versa.

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 03-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Medic1
Professional

I've only had the cloth on both my Rams, and I like them. I have to say the '09s cloth seats seem much more comfortable than in my '08. I have seen quite a few complaints regarding certain style seats in the 4th Gens not holding up well with the heated/cooled seat option. Not sure if its just the '09s or the '10s as well. Theres a pretty long thread on it listing possible causes and solutions etc. (linked below). I haven't really read through this whole thread since I am not affected by it but its something you might wanna check out just so you have the info.....

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...seat-wear.html

Last edited by Medic1; 03-24-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 AM
bigtone

I just picked up my 2010 Sport QC with the deluxe cloth buckets last Saturday. I think the only differences between the Cloth buckets and leather are the actual seating surfaces. On mine they are cloth, but the sides and backs are a very nice quality vinyl, which I think they are also on the leather seats. Most car manufacturers only use leather for the actual seating surfaces anymore. I usually prefer leather, but these are very close and since I liked the truck, I bought it.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
bls8195
Professional

I bought mine with leather however I did like th cloth, but for me leather is just easier to keep clean, I know people say it gets hot, but I am in Texas and mine don't get that bad at all, as I have dark tinted windows.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 AM
renos09
Veteran

I like the cloth. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Plus I put a seat cover over all my seats so it defeats the purpose to get leather.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Coolidge
Professional

Originally Posted by bigtone
I just picked up my 2010 Sport QC with the deluxe cloth buckets last Saturday. I think the only differences between the Cloth buckets and leather are the actual seating surfaces. On mine they are cloth, but the sides and backs are a very nice quality vinyl, which I think they are also on the leather seats. Most car manufacturers only use leather for the actual seating surfaces anymore. I usually prefer leather, but these are very close and since I liked the truck, I bought it.
Word of warning, my "premium cloth bench" seat is 100% cloth, I don't have the vinyl like you do. Maybe those seats are particular to the Sport.

I already don't like the cloth seats, Katskins leather will be one of the upgrades I make to this truck. If I had the part vinyl like you do I would probably not do the leather.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Attono
Veteran

I had leather in my Grand Cherokee and have cloth in my Ram. I think the cloth breathes a little better and doesn't get quite so hot when sitting in the sun. I liked the leather, but for me, it just wasn't worth the extra coin.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
tombogue09
Captain

The only good thing about the "leather" is that its ventilated. Other than that I'm not impressed since its not real leather

Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get getting a Sport get the leather trimmed seats, best of both worlds.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 09 sport, but I am not sure that the trim is leather. I think it may be vinyl since that is the way the leather seats come. My seating areas are a cloth, but not the same as the non sport cloth options. The regular cloth is much less likely to snag since it is sheared. The sport is tucked and I am not a huge fan of it, but it is what it is.

Quick Reply: Seats? Leather or Premium Cloth