2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Serial lookup

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 AM
nightsbird
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Serial lookup

I was wondering if its possible to tell what vehicle and engine came out of based on the blocks serial number

the number is

8M 239 0408 2665

which using google i found
yr made 98, 239 ci, april 8th, and 2665 the serial

however i cant find where to see what that engine was in e.g. specific year, make and model that it was placed in

Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never heard of someone doing this before, although that is pretty cool.

YOu trying to get your 3.9 V6 "Numbers Matching?"

Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM
nightsbird

Actually I bought the truck used with a bad motor. Went to a salvage yard and purchased a motor that supposedly was out of an 01 Ram 1500 with only 72k miles. However none of the parts oil pan, pump, pickup screen seem to match an 01. This in itself wouldnt be a big deal but that engine was bad too. I am trying to prove breach of contract for lying on the age and mileage to get my refund since normally salvage yards do not give refunds.

Would anyone know if a block made in 98 as in the one above would have been used in 01 or if dodge generally makes only enough for the production year

Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was a book i bought to help me build my bbc, in it told you how to look up all that info, go to a bookstore and look for a book on rebuilding or blueprinting a dodge engine that should give you what you need. then again call the dealership they should be able to help you with that.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
yakkier
Banned

Dealership as suggested above.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 PM
nightsbird

The dealer is only able to look up info with the last 8 of the vin. I called chrysler corporate and the Warren truck assembly plant both are looking into the matter. to see if those records are kept.

Thanks MrRuckuss Ill check it out maybe it can help.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:23 PM
yakkier
Banned

Man they are bound to have some kind of record considering they store all of our vin numbers all the way back to the mid to early 80's so i dont see why they wouldnt have the information on file. if anything they could look up the engine and find the vin number then look up truck from the vin number atleast.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 AM
MrAllen87
Default I have a 4.7 magnum. Needing help

i have a 4.7 engine in my 02 Dakota, I am trying to determine the year of the motor to obtain the correct head sprocket for the passenger side. When I bought the truck I was told the engine was replaced but not by what year. It is not an 02 I know for sure the head sprocket is way smaller and wider then the one on it currently. Where can I find the block serial number and how can I cross reference it to find a year?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by MrAllen87
i have a 4.7 engine in my 02 Dakota, I am trying to determine the year of the motor to obtain the correct head sprocket for the passenger side. When I bought the truck I was told the engine was replaced but not by what year. It is not an 02 I know for sure the head sprocket is way smaller and wider then the one on it currently. Where can I find the block serial number and how can I cross reference it to find a year?
Should be a date code cast into the block somewhere......

Old 10-18-2017, 10:51 AM
MrAllen87

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should be a date code cast into the block somewhere......
I have found a 4 digit code under the front right side of the motor. How does it read and how do I read it or where can I look it up?

Quick Reply: Engine Serial lookup