Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Caravan cooling fans not running?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:16 AM
ibridin1st
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Caravan cooling fans not running?

I have an 02 Carivan with a 3.8L. The check engine light came on. When I checked it, it was code 1491 (cooling fan relay). I replaced the relay. It worked for a few days, then the light came back on. I plugged the old relay back in. It worked. I plugged the new relay in. It worked for a few days, again. I jumped the fans. They both work fine. While messing with the relays, I noticed that one of the wires (red w/purple, about 1/8" diameter) would get very hot. The other three stayed normal temp. I also noticed that when the fans quit working, the A/C would not blow cold. The compressor seems to kick on and off normally. When the fans work, the A/C blows cold. I have moved some of the relays in the relay box around to make sure they all were good. I did the same with the fuses. Thank you to anyone that may have helpful information.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: 2003 Caravan cooling fans not running?

I've run into corrosion in the wiring to the fan relay, sometimes from the underhood junction block. Its under warranty isn't it??? Have the dealer fix it.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:30 PM
ibridin1st
Default RE: 2003 Caravan cooling fans not running?

It is actually a 2002 and has 42k miles. I took the battery out and flipped the box over to unplug and plug the connectors. They all looked fine. I did not open the box. The dealer wants $95 to look at it. My wife told me that after it is "reset". it is okay until she hits the first bump. That is when the check engine light comes on. Sounds like I will have to follow each wire to look for a loose connection. I was hoping for an easy fix. Does anyone know where I can find a "good" wiring diagram? My haynes manual does not have the right colors. Or, does anyone know what color wire goes where? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2002 Caravan cooling fans not running?