2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HOW-TO!!! How to change your struts

Old 04-02-2010, 12:35 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HOW-TO!!! How to change your struts

So I have not see a how too on changing struts here.

I put my Tokico HP blues on my new car today.

Here is the link where I purchased mine. (advertised as 2000 - 2006 neon's) ( http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...lierTypeid=All ) They are #31. The "Tokico advanced handling kit" less then $400 and they are great. You do need a spring compressor to install, but if you have any questions give this place a call and they will help you get what you need. I even called them during my first install and they helped me through that. GREAT COMPANY!
Here is a pic of the site:
Name:  shox.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  124.4 KB

NOTE:
This is my openion.......
Remember, these are a step above the stock suspension, they are not adjustable, but for me they were the only option for new suspension. cheap drop springs from ebay ARE NOT WORTH IT! They destroy your struts and ride like crap! You can buy just springs, but you will destroy your struts. This is all from personal experience.... I have put on ebay drop springs.... destroyed my struts and bump stops and rode like hell. I have also bought just springs, were great until my stock struts were destroyed. Then I purchased these. I LOVE THEM!!! You get a bit off a rough ride, but that is to be expected. Even mi wife loves the look and the handling of these strut/spring combo, and at the price you can't beat them!!!! (IMHO)

Ok, so on to how to change your struts:

With the kit mentioned above you will have to put the springs on the shocks. I am not discussing that here. But to do that you need this tool: (for rent at most auto stores.... be careful it is VERY dangerous!! spring compressor from auto-zone
(this is one wheel at a time)

Tools:
1. Basic Automotive socket set
2. Good Crescent wrench
3. Muscle
4. A little time
5. Some good old budlight!!
(DO NOT DRINK WHEN YOU WORK N YOUR CAR... THAT'S WHEN YOU HURT YOURSELF AND/OR OTHERS!! )

OK, here we go:

1. First untighten your lug nuts. Just don't do what I did and shear off a rusted lug nut:

Name:  3-1-1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  55.3 KB

2. Jack up you vehicle.

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  92.5 KB

its nice to have your tools waiting. AND ALWAYS USE A DAMN JACK-STAND!!! It sucks when a car falls on you!

Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  89.9 KB

3. Next remove the two bolts at the bottom of the strut. Where the strut connects to the spindle.

Name:  4-1.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  52.0 KB

4. Both of these bolts will come out with a little hammer love when the nut is removed. (you should support the spindle like I did not...) The lower end of the strut is then disconnected:

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  70.0 KB

5. Then is the 3 nuts in the engine bay or trunk area. Very easy to remove, but it might help if you hit it with PB Blaster the day before.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  91.5 KB

6. Once those three nuts are removed the strut will fall out of place.... might take some convincing. Just don't smash your finger between the strut and control arm....... good gloves will not stop the blood!!!

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  54.0 KB

7. BAM the old strut is gone!!!

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  42.6 KB

8. The installation of the new strut is opposite of the old one. I like to put one top nut in first and connect one of the three nuts later. Leave it loose, just enough to hold it up.

9. Then get the bottom in place. It will take a little work. Get the first lower strut bolt in place and use a hammer to drive it in. The bolt end has groves to hold it in place, so use a hammer, it makes life easier. Next do the second bolt.

10.Next up is the top three nuts in the engine bay or trunk compartment. Tighten those bad boys down and its on to the tire.

11. Get that little tire back on the lug nuts and tighten them down.

12. YOUR DONE!!! ITS THAT EASY!!! 5 BOLTS/NUTS AND YOU DID IT!!!

Last part is to check every nut and bolt you messed with in 25-50 miles. Then can and will work themselves lose. I am not sure of the exact torch they need but they do need to be checked, that includes the lug nuts!!!

Have fun!!! It feels good to do this yourself and will save you a ton of cash!!!! Remember, you only need basic hand tools, some time, maybe a rented tool and you being careful and you can save lots of money!!!!

PM me if anyone has any questions or needs help!!

Takes me about 20minutes a wheel.... but I have done it a few times!!

Good luck!

Remember, I am, not a professional. There are other small things, such as grounding straps. You can get those on your own. I am not responsible for any breakage or injuries you may incur!

Hope this helps someone!!!

Nick

Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

might be a good sticky

Mods?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
mjs182004
Veteran

Nice write up!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
eurotunerz

Thanks mate it looks very easy i am about to change mine on my 2001 Dodge Neon. I am thinking about putting the Tokico Shocks what do you guys think about that??

But a wonderful post overall Thank mate

Old 09-03-2010, 11:30 PM
JADEN

nice write up..when i took this challenge couldn't believe how easy it was compare to other europen cars i owned..

Old 09-05-2010, 02:29 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

nice to see someone used it!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 AM
dexi
Amateur

sucks they aren't cheap anymore... price is now more than double that ^

Old 05-12-2011, 12:19 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe they figured out they were including a set of springs with struts for the price of the struts? The struts are still only $400.

Last edited by darthroush; 05-12-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

I think the combo is a great deal for struts and springs even if its a bit more than what he paid over a yr ago. 555.00 bucks is still cheaper than 200bucks or so for some nice new set of springs and like darth said 400 for the blues.

Last edited by showsxt; 05-12-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The kit in question is almost $700 or $800 now, not the $400 when the thread was started. If you think a set of springs is worth $300 or $400, by all means buy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW-TO!!! How to change your struts