3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

code p0174 fuel system too lean bank 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code p0174 fuel system too lean bank 2

so this code has been giving me one hell of a time over the past few months with my truck.. As far as driving around all seems fine my hand calculated mpg are ok and truck seems fine.

I have been bouncing back and forth with the dealer with this code. seems like i endup taking it there the light goes off or goes off before i can take it in for the appointment. Or comes on during a weekend and is off before the end of the weekend. just overall a real pita. Last time it came on got it to the dealer they said it was a "stored" code and that they cleared the system and now two weeks later it's back on. What does stored code mean the light was still on as far as I knew that meant the code was active.

It appears to happen when i'm going down a hill with a quarter tank of gas or less. Last two times have been going down my driveway at about a quarter tank of gas my driveway is about a half mile long with a 20% ish grade so it's fairly steep. Any ideas on this code. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow and they're gonna do something about it.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In all likelihood you've got a vacuum leak at the intake manifold or the throttle body, although a bad EGR could cause this as well...

Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Ben D.
Champion

if this thing has already got a vacuum leak or a bad egr then i need to get rid of it that's ridiculous. bum o2 sensor or something wouldn't be bad. not to mention god knows how long it'll take the retarded dealer tech to find the damn leak...

Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Ben D.
Champion

idk maybe i'm overreacting. I mean i feel like at 23500 miles this truck should still be perfect and if it's already having issues i feel like maybe i just wasted 30k bux and bought a piece of junk...

Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

it's also possible it's a bad O2, but hell Ben, you are over-reacting. One bad component does not a lemon make...

Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at least your gas pedal doesnt stick.

And like hammer said, it's probably something really small and should be an easy fix. Judging by your miles and year, this should still be covered under warranty right?

Keep us updated

Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Ben D.
Champion

lol true no sticky pedal lol.

Yea ur right i guess I worry mainly because of when that lady hit it and it had to get fixed even though no mechanical components were messed up she really just demolished my door and the fender right at the door and the floor. I wonder if it's because of that ya know even though the truck has been great before and after the accident I always wonder.

Well i'll be calling the dealer in the morning and taking it in see what happens. and yes it's well under warranty I just get worried and the entire check engine light thing just ticks me off. I've never had a real issue with it, no dash rattles, drives great, runs strong, just this CEL issue now and one before where they cleared it and it never came back. that was the year I had bought it. I just really love this truck but ya know if it becomes a PITA i really don't wanna deal with it. but it's like the perfect fit for me. 4x4, stick shift, v8.

Last edited by Ben D.; 04-01-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Ben D.
Champion

so guys here's an update. took the truck in today (saturday) after the light went out on friday. Now it's throwing the code for both banks of the exhaust p0171 0174. Well walked in the girl receptionist was like well we can't do anything with the light off. Then and thank god for this guy. The lead technician that runs the shop walks in and hears what she's saying. Stops her and says look i have a computer that tells me everything doesn't matter if the light is on or not. We talk for a couple minutes I show him work orders from the times it's been here and i could tell he was mad about it. So he pulled it in hooked up the diagnostics and ran it through.

He comes out 20 min later and says look I was certain it was an o2 sensor until he saw that now it threw the lean code for both banks. So he says i'm still ticked that until now no one even replaced the sensor so i will talk with the techs about this. He said he attempted to get the o2 sensors out both were finnicky and he didn't wanna strip the threads on it because on saturday they arn't there long so he didn't want me to have to drop it back off. makes sense anything metal threaded into metal that goes through hot cold cycles always sucks to break out so I appreciated his caution. So on monday night i'm dropping it off and he will be putting two new o2 sensors in it and doing a full shakedown of the truck he also told me to bring it in low on fuel because he will probably drop the tank and inspect the fuel pump.

I'm totally relieved this is such a small issue and the first problem with the truck ever. This is the kind of service i've always recieved from this dealer it just seems a few misinformed people made some mistakes but the tech lead was amazing.

he's also the same guy that replaced my wheels for the pitting many members complain about and he did that no questions asked

Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good man there. They're arent many out there. Hope they get your rig back up to speed on Monday. Always good to hear it's nothing major and you caught it quick.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ok so tuesday came and went they replaced both O2 sensors upstream and well this morning the code is back but this time just p0174 for lean on bank 2. Called dealer goes in monday again............ fml...................

Quick Reply: code p0174 fuel system too lean bank 2