2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Heya everyone.

Mr. Robert Griffin, aka MonteC, is widely recognized on here as being one of the most knowledgeable guys (if not THE most knowledgeable guy) when it comes to our transmissions. This sticky thread is for him to answer any specific transmission questions you may have. I still recommend doing a search before you ask your question, to make sure not to hit Robert with the same questions over and over, especially ones that he (or others) have answered before.

The following users liked this post:
William Clay Pitts (06-14-2021)
Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MonteC's Transmission Corner, April 5 - April 11

Budget: $500
Tranny mechanical knowledge: I can drain/fill and change the filter. Pressure solenoid doesn't scare me. But gears and bands do. Willing to do valve body work. Limited on tranny specific tools.

What upgrades do you recommend to increase longevity of the tranny (my 2001 currently has only 48K miles)?

Thinking:
Check Valve Delete
Dodge to GM Governor solenoid
Deep tranny pan (turbulator design)
Sonnax sure cure **Edited for answer, and for my own reference**

EDIT
DIYs for above:
1. Sonnax sure cure and deep tranny pan (Thanks squirrel)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...with-pics.html
2. Replacing the governor solenoid (not the Dodge to GM, but the same process) too bad the author was banned.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...d-install.html
3. Check valve delete (Thanks again squirrel)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

--Dan

The following users liked this post:
IceQueen (09-22-2019)
Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

46RH Rebuilt 22K ago.

Did fluid and filter change, and it seems that there is somewhat of a bog. Shifts excellent, o/d engages / disengages perfectly. fluid at correct level. Its a much smoother ride though, and it gets up to speed very quickly but compared to before the flush it seems like theres a bog. Its hard to explain. My exhaust tone is quieter as well. My exhaust ends after the CAT.

When i flushed the transmission, i found 2 very small pieces of a green "twist" made of hard pastic. Is this something i should be concerned about? Theres was not very much metal shavings.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Budget: $500
Tranny mechanical knowledge: I can drain/fill and change the filter. Pressure solenoid doesn't scare me. But gears and bands do. Willing to do valve body work. Limited on tranny specific tools.

What upgrades do you recommend to increase longevity of the tranny (my 2001 currently has only 48K miles)?

Thinking:
Check Valve Delete
Dodge to GM Governor solenoid
Deep tranny pan (turbulator design)

I already have the factory external tranny cooler.
Would I need to upgrade to bigger/better?
I only tow when moving, but that is about every 2-3 years being in the Army. Other than that, i drive it as little as possible.

Just throw some things out there. Even if it goes over 500. I can prioritize.

--Dan
You pretty much have it covered, sounds like youve done your home work. Only thing i would add is a sonnax sure cure, it will come with some internal parts but the majority of the good stuff is for the valvebody.

I would disconnect your trans cooler lines and flush both the factory radiator cooler and the external cooler, and periodically check to make sure you are not getting fluid from the radiator into your trans cooler. (at every trans service, 25k-30k) SMART BLEND makes a great product for cleaning coolers.

Thats pretty much it aside from pulling out the transmission and installing a better torque converter, lol.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
46RH Rebuilt 22K ago.

Did fluid and filter change, and it seems that there is somewhat of a bog. Shifts excellent, o/d engages / disengages perfectly. fluid at correct level. Its a much smoother ride though, and it gets up to speed very quickly but compared to before the flush it seems like theres a bog. Its hard to explain. My exhaust tone is quieter as well. My exhaust ends after the CAT.

When i flushed the transmission, i found 2 very small pieces of a green "twist" made of hard pastic. Is this something i should be concerned about? Theres was not very much metal shavings.
When is the bog? off idle, at cruise? There should not be any "twist" inside the trans, must be something the builder left behind.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering if you could explain how switching from a 2.2 band lever (stock) to a 4.2 band lever would improve my tranny. I asked the same question to Don from PACT and all he said was "it'll be better". I was just curious how? Is it worth my while? By the way, this thread being a sticky is a BRILLIANT idea!
Also, what do you think about CVC remaned torque converters? I'm considering buying one.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#4L. Fits 518, 618, 47RH, 47RE, and 727 transmissions. The stock second gear band apply lever has a 3.8 to 1 ratio. Whereas this lever has a 5 to 1 ratio giving an extra 31% torque holding capacity in second gear. Placing one pound of force on the tip of the apply lever causes 5 pounds of force on the band. These are Mopar OEM levers.
Is this what your asking about? This is from PACT website.
Dave

Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J415
I was wondering if you could explain how switching from a 2.2 band lever (stock) to a 4.2 band lever would improve my tranny. I asked the same question to Don from PACT and all he said was "it'll be better". I was just curious how? Is it worth my while? By the way, this thread being a sticky is a BRILLIANT idea!
Also, what do you think about CVC remaned torque converters? I'm considering buying one.
Worth your while? No. Unless your turning some big horsepower.

Im no mechanical engineer, but i understand how levers work. I might not be able to convey that knowledge easily. Read this website and if you need any further explanation, i can try and help. http://www.eng.iastate.edu/twt/Cours...abs/levers.htm

Will it be better, yes, but its a bit over kill for a stock or a little over stock application, it cannot be changed in the vehicle.

CVC = JUNK
Check out, http://www.gopnh.com/

Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
When is the bog? off idle, at cruise? There should not be any "twist" inside the trans, must be something the builder left behind.

I actually put a bit of 93 octane in my truck and its come out of it. It catches at like 900 rpms and it takes off awesome. I checked my hughes plate and manifold, and my manifold is still all silver, not one drop of oil.

good to know about the twist. To be more specific, it looked like two wires twisted together. but it was hard plastic, and had no wire. two pieces that could fit on the tip of my finger, very small. I have pics in my tranny flush tread.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
smoke&dust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to drag this out, but I've got the same basic questions as CPTAFW163. I just bought an 03 Ram CTD with only 59k on the clock. I'm gonna use it to tow my 5500lbs camper. It has a 48re tranny that I'm going to do the fluid/filter/band adjustment on. I'm having trouble finding much about the 48re. Any common problems to look for/what would you recommend I do to bullit proof it?

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)