3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7L Hemi-Broken Valve Spring - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.7L Hemi-Broken Valve Spring - Help

Hello from new member here,

Got another broken spring. 03 Ram 5.7L. I've had this happen before, but had someone else changed the actual spring itself....that someone no longer available. Anyone have any links to step by step how to's, tips, etc? I am in process of removing valve cover now.

Also, Haynes manual states that I need to get my #1 piston at TDC. What is the reasoning for this as it does not explain....excuse my ignorance. Anyone know what socket size I need for the bolt on the crankshaft vibration damper to perform the TDC process? I am assuming that I will need a huge breaker bar as well...and will I need to remove all 16 plugs? I'm pretty sure it's the #2 cylinder, but will know for sure shortly. I have a compressor and bought the adapter to hold valve in place.

I appreciate any help, etc. Haven't done this before and a little nervous.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as that valve stays where it should .you'll be all right just take your time. The crank bolt should be metric dunno the size but every bolt on my 06 has been metric. Hope it helps; not much but its all I got for now.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

Weedahoe did a writeup for a cam install in the 3rd Gen FAQ. It goes into great detail about the whole process.

you may as well buy the 6.1 springs. It'll be a little more work to change all of the springs, but you'll never have another failure.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Just went out and threw a socket on balancer for ya. 13/16" is the size that fit mine.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have heard this is a common problem with the '03's... right?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Man, you guys are awesome. I can't thank you enough. Yes, I can do waterpumps, etc. but have never tried anything with the guts of the motor. What I'm so vervous about is doing the spring and losing the valve. or not performing the TDC task correctly. When doing that, I'll need to take all plugs out on left side also due to compression?

Ok, right before I shut the motor down, there was a pretty significant tapping on my right valve cover. This is the one I just took off, as far as I can tell, the springs look alright, hard to tell on the lower one for #2 cylinder. I need to try a small mirror to get down in there to see. I've checked the resistance on the coil packs (right side) they are all within spec, was hoping one would be bad instead.

@AF_Hemi: Thank you, I will check out the FAQ write up. 6.1 springs? Are these the ones with the metal shroud around the base? That's what the dealer gave me.

@DirtyDog: I applaud your dedication is helping a n00b and doing that for me. As I live about 25 miles from nearest parts store and didn't want to get the wrong size. Thanks!

@Cheapbeater: Yeah, it sure is a problem with the '03 Hemi's and only the '03's as far as I know. omg, look at that toe in your avatar

Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Very common with the '03s, by all means get you the 6.1 springs and change 'em all out. They are about the same price as the 5.7 springs...

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Well my 03 hasn't had the broken spring problem yet. But I spin the old girl up pretty tight ever so often. Just a matter of time. Haven't done anything to the engine but use to use a nylon rope on my chevy engines and don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the dodge as well. Lower the piston some in the cylinder that you want to change the spring on and feed as much rope as you can into the spark plug hole. Roll the piston back up by hand until tight. Pack rags all around so nothing can fall into the engine and find a method to push down on the spring keeper and remove. Change the spring and replace the keeper. I had a lever that I fitted to the rocker arm stud on the chevy. Something similar should be workable on the dodge. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Superchargedram
Rookie

Originally Posted by FireFighter
Hello from new member here,

Got another broken spring. 03 Ram 5.7L. I've had this happen before, but had someone else changed the actual spring itself....that someone no longer available. Anyone have any links to step by step how to's, tips, etc? I am in process of removing valve cover now.

Also, Haynes manual states that I need to get my #1 piston at TDC. What is the reasoning for this as it does not explain....excuse my ignorance. Anyone know what socket size I need for the bolt on the crankshaft vibration damper to perform the TDC process? I am assuming that I will need a huge breaker bar as well...and will I need to remove all 16 plugs? I'm pretty sure it's the #2 cylinder, but will know for sure shortly. I have a compressor and bought the adapter to hold valve in place.

I appreciate any help, etc. Haven't done this before and a little nervous.

Thanks guys.
VERY EASY TASK!!! coils 10mm valve cover bolts 8mm, Rocker bolts 10mm, Crank pulley 21mm, You lucky it didnt drop that valve.

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
Weedahoe did a writeup for a cam install in the 3rd Gen FAQ. It goes into great detail about the whole process.

you may as well buy the 6.1 springs. It'll be a little more work to change all of the springs, but you'll never have another failure.
I would upgrade the springs the 03s do not have dampners (little metal bucket) all other years do. They cost 70 bucks from Henson motorsports or 85 at the dealership, REMEMBER GET 16 6.1 EXHAUST SPRINGS.

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
i have heard this is a common problem with the '03's... right?
Yes best I can figure it because the springs do not have the dampners on them

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Well my 03 hasn't had the broken spring problem yet. But I spin the old girl up pretty tight ever so often. Just a matter of time. Haven't done anything to the engine but use to use a nylon rope on my chevy engines and don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the dodge as well. Lower the piston some in the cylinder that you want to change the spring on and feed as much rope as you can into the spark plug hole. Roll the piston back up by hand until tight. Pack rags all around so nothing can fall into the engine and find a method to push down on the spring keeper and remove. Change the spring and replace the keeper. I had a lever that I fitted to the rocker arm stud on the chevy. Something similar should be workable on the dodge. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Your not going to push that spring down to remove the retainer with out a spring removal tool which you can rent from O'riellys, If you get the BIG Cclamp remover you will have to pull your head to use it.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Do the Intakes also need changing or is it just the exhaust valves?

Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi-Broken Valve Spring - Help