2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Need help understanding P0430 code

Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM
revinronny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help understanding P0430 code

Hello, Engine light keeps coming on so I went to O'reilly to check what code I was getting and the scanner came up with a P0430 1/2 Catalytic Conv Eff. I tried searching for more information but I'm coming up empty. Does anyone know exactly what this is? 2007 Dodge Durango. Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 04:09 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your catalytic converter is detecting low oxygen. Either the O2 sensor is bad or the catalytic converter is bad:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...am-1500-a.html

FF

Old 04-10-2010, 04:20 PM
revinronny

Thanks for the response! I found out that it's the 02 sensor on the passenger side of the vehicle. Where are these sensors located on the vehicle? Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 04:34 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two on the 5.7L. One on each exhaust manifold before the cat,
FF

Old 03-13-2011, 08:50 PM
cajunjason

I decided to join this forum after this post helped me and I also wanted to share my experience.

I run a set of Mopar polished long tube headers on my midnight blue, 2004 Dodge 1500 Hemi 5.7L, high flow Mopar catalytic converts, Y-Pipe to a single 2.5 inch pipe, FlowMaster low rumble and it goes over the rear axle and stops. All necessary pipe welding was done by me. The Hemi 5.7 also has a cold air intake, a Superchips tuner, 20" stock rims with 305-50-R20 Falken tires. I cut and welded the rear shackles to shorten them and make the truck sit level.

Not even 2 years after I installed the headers, cats, Y pipe, part of the stock tail pipe, FlowMaster low rumble exhaust and tip, I started getting a check engine light or idiot light right before 2011 inspection, of course. Superchips reads DTCs and I was getting the infamous 0420 & 0430, bank 1 and bank 2 efficiency codes (or lack thereof).

I replaced all 4 O2 sensors with Bosch ($29-$59 each) from AutoZone, cleared the DTC, drove it for 50+ miles and still got the 0420 & 0430 codes. Dammit. From here Dodge quoted me $700 on replacement Mopar cats ( you have to buy Y pipe again as well) or $230 each for Magna flow cats (internet) that I have to cut the flange off of the Mopar cats to weld the MagnaFlow cats on. Last option was $500 parts and all to have it done at Joe's in Addision. Good guy, good work but do I need new cats. Hmm. I just spent $100 on a printed board to get my blinker fixed.

Internet! So I found this site. Next I bought the 18mm spark plug non-foulers at AutoZone for $3.99 each. They were in the HELP! section and part number 42009 was one type I bought. I found another set that was a little shorter or longer I can't tell now that I have taken them out of the packages.

I drilled one non-fouler out from each package, screwed them together (undrilled one in front). Then installed 2 / O2 sensors into the non-foulers for Bank1 (passenger side) in back and in front of the cat and the installed the front O2 sensor into a non-fouler on bank 2 (driver side).

The rear O2 sensor on bank 2 has a fatter O2 sensor tip and a larger hole has to be drilled out of the non-fouler. After breaking 2 drill bits, was getting dark outside...I decided to shut it down for the night.

I cleared the DTC and ran it for 50+ miles and NOW getting a 0133 sensor slow response and NOT the 0420 / 0430. Better. So I took out the front non-foulers out from Bank1 front and Bank2 front and installed the O2 sensors, leaving only 1 non-fouler on Bank1 rear.

I cleared the DTCs again and now was getting 0420, ONLY on Bank1! Now we are cooking. Installed a non-fouler on the front O2 sensor on Bank1 and have no codes! I have driven the truck for about 65 miles.

To sum it up -

- Bank1 - Front and back O2 sensors have the non-foulers installed.
- Bank2 - Front O2 sensor has a non-fouler installed.

I hope this rant saves someone the time it took to figure this out!

Good Luck
CajunJason

Old 05-14-2022, 09:01 PM
cribbj

I have an '04 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi, 150K on the clock, and I'm getting the occasional P0430 code.

I'm wondering what has been the most common cause that owners have found, ie has it been the driver side cat, or the post-cat O2 sensor? I have no diagnostic equipment so would prefer to start replacing the most likely worn/failed parts. And I've read where another owner replaced his O2 sensors with a make that was different than the OE parts and that compounded his problem. Can someone kindly advise the correct make/model for these?

Forgot to mention, I just changed plugs & coils and still have the issue. (new NGK Iridiums and the 6.1 double ended coils)

Last edited by cribbj; 05-14-2022 at 09:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help understanding P0430 code