Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Disc Brake Pad Replacement Info for Dodge Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 PM
southwos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Disc Brake Pad Replacement Info for Dodge Caravan

Just thought I would throw this out here for the community. I replaced my rear disc brake pads (08 Grand Caravan) today and found out that I needed a special tool (from AutoZone, free for use) or had to use a C clamp to compress the caliper and screw in the caliper piston at the same time. I did a search here and on the net and didn't find this information out. Luckily my Brother who is a mechanic told me the trick to compressing the caliper piston. Hopefully this will help others like me that were unaware of this, I'm sure this is not something new. I used to work on my own cars allot, but got away from it and now have started back doing my own work (crappy economy).

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by southwos
Just thought I would throw this out here for the community. I replaced my rear disc brake pads (08 Grand Caravan) today and found out that I needed a special tool (from AutoZone, free for use) or had to use a C clamp to compress the caliper and screw in the caliper piston at the same time. I did a search here and on the net and didn't find this information out. Luckily my Brother who is a mechanic told me the trick to compressing the caliper piston. Hopefully this will help others like me that were unaware of this, I'm sure this is not something new. I used to work on my own cars allot, but got away from it and now have started back doing my own work (crappy economy).

The 5th Generation have the screw type parking brake for their rear discs. Here's information on the two commonly used systems (Toyota, but don't let it scare you). http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake06.pdf

Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
southwos

Originally Posted by TJeepman
The 5th Generation have the screw type parking brake for their rear discs. Here's information on the two commonly used systems (Toyota, but don't let it scare you). http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake06.pdf
Good info, glad I read it, I didn't know you had to reset the parking brake after you replace the pads. Thanks!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

INSTALLATION

Perform Step #1 through Step #6 on each side of vehicle to complete pad set installation, then proceed to Step 7
CAUTION: Anytime the brake rotor or brake pads are being replaced, the rear caliper piston must be seated (bottomed) to compensate for the new brake rotor or lining. Because the parking brake self-adjuster mechanism is attached to the piston, a special seating method is required. The only acceptable method is by rotating the piston back into the bore using Retractor, Special Tool 8807, as described below. Any other seating method will damage the self-adjuster mechanism.

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 1.If necessary, seat (bottom) the caliper piston in the bore as follows: a.Assemble a 3/8 in. drive ratchet handle and an extension (3).b.Insert the extension through Special Tool 8807–1 (2).c.Place Special Tool 8807–2 (1) on the end of the extension.d.Insert lugs on Special Tool 8807–2 into notches in face of caliper piston (5).e.Thread the screw drive on 8807–1 down until it contacts the top of 8807–2 which is against the caliper piston. Do not over tighten the screw-drive. Damage to the piston can occur. f.Turn 8807–2 with the ratchet, rotating the piston in a clockwise direction until fully seated (bottomed) in the bore. It may be necessary to turn 8807–1 with 8807–2 to start the process of piston retraction.

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 2.Make sure abutment shims (4) are in place on both upper and lower slide abutments of caliper adapter (3).
NOTE: If the brake pads have a protective paper on the rear face of the brake pad plate, it must be removed before pad installation. 3.Place the brake pads (2, 5) in the abutment shims (3) clipped into the disc brake caliper adapter bracket (3) as shown.

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
CAUTION: Use care when installing the caliper (2) onto the adapter bracket to avoid damaging the guide pin boots.
4.Install the disc brake caliper (2) over the brake pads on the brake caliper adapter bracket.
CAUTION: When removing or installing a caliper guide pin bolt, it is necessary to hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt. Hold the guide pin stationary using a wrench placed upon the pin's hex-shaped head.
5.Align the caliper guide pin bolt holes with the adapter bracket. Install the upper and lower caliper guide pin bolts (1). Tighten the guide pin bolts to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 6.Install tire and wheel assembly . Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).

7.Lower vehicle.8.Pump brake pedal several times to ensure vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving vehicle.9.Check and adjust brake fluid level as necessary.10.Road test vehicle and make several stops to wear off any foreign material on brakes and to seat brake pads.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Great information, thanks. Gonna bookmark that for a future date when I buy a 5th Generation.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is only for 5th Generation vans correct??

also i love what it says about the tool if you look it up, it says it's for the 2001 Viper

Old 04-16-2010, 07:57 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by trophyslayer
this is only for 5th Generation vans correct??

also i love what it says about the tool if you look it up, it says it's for the 2001 Viper
Yes, the 4th Generation has the small drum type emergency brake in the rotor hat.

2001 Viper ..... interesting. Some blame the screw type design on General Motors. Don't know where it originated. Seen it used on Hondas for several years.

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Brake Pad Replacement Info for Dodge Caravan