2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck hard to start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck hard to start...

Well, when my truck sits all night, and I go to start it in the morning, it seems to turn over like 7-8 times before she'll crank. I sometimes have to stop, then try again and it'll start after one crank. The rest of the day, she'll crank just fine. Could my fuel pump possibly be going out? Or my stock cat? Ugh crap just keeps going downhill...

Old 04-15-2010, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

probably just the check valve in the pump. Try an experiment. tomorrow morning, go out to your truck, turn the key on, but, don't crank the engine. listen for the fuel pump, it should run for a few seconds when you turn the key on. when it stops, turn the key off, and then try and start the truck. My guess is, it will fire right up.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say it won't crank, do you mean it just goes "click" when you turn the key, or is the starter motor actually turning the engine?

Cartman

Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by EricCartman
When you say it won't crank, do you mean it just goes "click" when you turn the key, or is the starter motor actually turning the engine?

Cartman
The motor is turning over, it just wont start. Like normal, which cranks like 2-3 times before she fires, mine will crank up to about 7 times or more before it starts. like its not getting any fuel

Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just turn the key on but dont try and start it let it sit for a couple seconds, then if it cranks right away your losing pressure after sitting and its probably the fuel pump.

Have you noticed any loss of power or stumbling like its not getting enough fuel another hint towards the fuel pump

Old 04-17-2010, 04:06 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Alright, I tried y'alls recommendations this morning with some success. She did fire up with less crank rotations, but stumbled a little. I have noticed this before just forgot to post about it. Once she fires up, it kinda bogs a little as it gains RPM's. I can get a video tomarrow morning if it helps, but I'm sure you guys are right and that it is my fuel pump...

Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
yakkier
Banned

Same exact thing mine is doing man, has been doing for awhile now.

Evap purge valve/sensor

or fuel pump/regulator it's going to be atleast one of those because my fuel pump is going bad but it's been doing it long before my pump went bad, it's just gotten worse.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

prolly the fuel pump and possibly the cat may be clogged up causing the stumble from reading incorrect air fuel ratios

Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM
jbowery30

I am having the hard to start in the mornings acts like not getting fuel. Just started doing it after we replaced three fuel injectors. It used to hard start when hot outside now hard start every morning. We have check fuel pressure and it goes up to 48 psi then drops overnight. Help love driving my truck but can't.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Why did you replace three injectors? General rule of thumb is, if two or more are bad, replace ALL of them.

New or used replacements?

Quick Reply: Truck hard to start...