3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing transmission lines

Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Beastro
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing transmission lines

Has any one done this job? My pressure line is leaking so I thought while im under there ill do them all. I have the hanes manuel and I looked on the auto zone site for a how to and I cant find a thing any one got a diagram I could refer to if I get stuck? Any help would be great Thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its real simple. use a wrench and unhook from the tranny. then get a fuel/oil line disconnect tool to unhook from the cooler. only problem is you are gonna have to drop a cross member to get the lines in and out.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^ Yep, simple as that. ive dont them on other rides but not my truck. i havent had a reason too but its not hard. They also make special wrenches to get on the trans lines nuts so you dont strip them

Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Beastro
Veteran

Hey thanks guys. While I was at work I looked threw 1000203 posts and found the one where weed gives part num and site to get new trans lines.
OlDirtyJohn Is it much of a job to drop that cross member could you possibly post some pics of it no droped just were to drop?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

All you had to do was ask. Ive got all the parts catalogs and can look up just about anything for anyone

Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Beastro
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
All you had to do was ask. Ive got all the parts catalogs and can look up just about anything for anyone
Really I did not know that weed thanks man. Got a Q tho should I get the bigger trans cooler I have a stock trans but the cooler on there now dosnt look to good some of the fins are bent or should I just get the stock one?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

There is that old saying about if it isnt broke, dont fix it. However, it is is bothering you and you have the money, then do it.

I run all my electronics off my 136A alt. I know they make a stock 160A alt and sure I would like to have and I get even get it, but I have no issue with my current one. Now, if it ever dies on my I will replace it with a bigger one.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Beastro
Veteran

LOL well then il just do the lines. Do i need to drain the trans befor this and replace with new stuff or can I undo 1 end and have the new hose ready and quickly put one end on? lose sum fluid but not all

Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont need to drain the trans. the only thing that will leak is fluid from the lines, maybe a little from the cooler.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Beastro
Veteran

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
you dont need to drain the trans. the only thing that will leak is fluid from the lines, maybe a little from the cooler.
Big help you 2 thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing transmission lines