2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02/V6 dakota starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:34 AM
rctk1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02/V6 dakota starts then dies

Hi Guys! newb here! My wifes truck wouldnt start unless the gas is pumped and pressed while turning the ignition, once the foot is off the peddle the truck would die out. i was able to get the truck moving while riding the brake and using the gas to keep the idle high, after a few minutes of doing this the truck ran fine. a check engine light came on also during this problem. We live in hawaii so the cold temp is not an issue. i also tried to use jumper cables in the event it was a weak battery but that wasnt it,can anyone tell me what could be causing the problem? thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 08:26 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You need to find out why the CEL is on. You can turn the ignition key on, then off, on then off and on and leave it on and any codes from the PCM will show in the odometer. There is a topic at the top of the second generation page here that will give you a list of the codes and what they mean. Then you can post back here and we will help if we can.

How many miles on the truck?

Jimmy

Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your battery load tested and you'll probably find you have a cell going bad. These trucks like to have a fully charged battery or they will not run. While you're at it, have the alternator checked for voltage output which should be in the 13.5-14.5 range. Any parts store should do this free of charge.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM
crazyaussie

Originally Posted by rctk1
Hi Guys! newb here! My wifes truck wouldnt start unless the gas is pumped and pressed while turning the ignition, once the foot is off the peddle the truck would die out. i was able to get the truck moving while riding the brake and using the gas to keep the idle high, after a few minutes of doing this the truck ran fine. a check engine light came on also during this problem. We live in hawaii so the cold temp is not an issue. i also tried to use jumper cables in the event it was a weak battery but that wasnt it,can anyone tell me what could be causing the problem? thanks
Let me know what you find out to be the source of the problem. My '99 Dakota just started doing the same thing.

My battery had been dying a lot lately, but I always just put it on the trickle charger. After keeping it on the trickle charger for a week I took it off and tried starting it. It started right up, but died about a second later. When I tried to re-start it, it would not start unless I had my foot on the gas pedal.

My truck is a manual, so keeping it running while driving is *******ly impossible. I'd like to take it into an Auto Zone and get the starting system checked, but I'm not sure that I can get it there. Before I take out the alternator, I'd like to be fairly certain that is the problem child.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just take the alternator out and take it to autozone and have it tested and unhook the battery and leave it on trickle charge. also take the battery in and have it tested but only take it in after having charged

Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
quyenc2000

I have a 97 v6 that had the same problem last year. I diagnosed to a bad part (I think it is called linear motor) at the back of the throuttle body. It allows the opening and closing of a hole to let air through at idle. Mine was stuck closed and this caused the engine to die unless the accelerator was pressed. I hope this help.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
SH0K0TA
Professional

this is a common problem in these trucks.... yes check the battery, and check the alt...

but the root of my problem was the battery... the - terminal wasn't staying fully connected to the battery. the dakotas can be finicy about this stuff sometimes lol

Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

IAC valve. 100% sure. on the back of the throttle body. $40 and fixed.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 PM
crazyaussie

Originally Posted by Independentfool
IAC valve. 100% sure. on the back of the throttle body. $40 and fixed.
Well...I don't want to speak too soon, BUT your solution appears to have done the trick!! The truck stays running without me having to keep my foot on the gas AND you over quoted...it only cost $33.00!

The check engine light came on when I disconnected the sensor and now it is still on after having installed the new one. Will this turn off after a few cycles or will I need to get it cleared?

Thank you soooo much, you saved me a lot of hassle and I'm sure money.

Last edited by crazyaussie; 04-27-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: I spoke prematurely, solution worked!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
SH0K0TA
Professional

go to autozone and have it cleared for free.

Quick Reply: 02/V6 dakota starts then dies