3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bumper Hitch Hole Plug

Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Deviate
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bumper Hitch Hole Plug

First off...why don't people have any common decency and respect for other people's property?!?! Someone stole the black plastic plug that fills in the hole in the rear bumper where you can mount a ball hitch. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?!? So now I have a nice gaping hole back there. Anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement...aside from stealing it from someone else's bumper?

I've looked online and I guess bumper hitch hole plug isn't the technical term for it. But I don't know what else to call it. LMC Truck has the entire pad piece for the rear bumper but it's $45 and in the picture I can't tell if it even has the piece I need. I'll be damned if I'm spending $45 for that little piece of plastic anyway.

*sigh*

Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People used to steal the center caps off my old flower pedals. I feel your pain. The best place to get one is heading to a junk yard. Can't imagine they'd charge more than a few dollars.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You talking about the round hole in the bumper or the square plug that fits in the receiver?

I had a plug for the receiver that plugged into the trailer pig tail and was a 4th brake light ripped off in the Wally World parking lot about 10 years ago while in Florida visiting my parents and a chrome Bully step off of the receiver of my ex's Grand Cherokee right from my campsite while I was camping and trout fishing about 8 years ago. THAT ONE REALLY PISSED ME OFF because I had a hard shell topper on top and had that step on there to be able to get things out and put things in it!

Wasn't long after replacing that particular item that I invested in a couple of locking hitch pins I still use to this day!!!

Anyway, if it's the square hitch plug for a receiver, any auto parts store, a plain jane plastic one with the 2" square plug and the tube with the hole for the hitch pin is about $5.

If it's the round hole on the bumper, Upperbound1.com has a rubber plug for that hole for $3.95 with free ground shipping...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-13-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I can tell you mine came off one day when i stepped on the bumped to get into the bed. They are only held in place my three plastic tangs and nothing more. Maybe it was loose from you doing the same and the wind caught it?????

IDK but just trying to be positive about it.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

http://www.hitchplug.com/

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?Make=Dod...=p3286.c0.m282

If this is the part you're talking about there's stuff out there for pretty cheap.

BTW, great looking white truck!!!!! lmao

Old 05-13-2010, 02:17 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Check junk yards. I'm sure they'll have one off a wrecked one.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
[url]

BTW, great looking white truck!!!!! lmao
i thought it was silver

Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Deviate
Professional

I dunno weed...maybe. But it never seemed like was loose anything before.

It is the round plastic piece that fits in the bumper. I'll check around at some junk yards around here. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some other goodies while I'm there.

Hammer I saw some of those plugs like you mentioned. But I'm not sure if it would cover the entire area. I think the OEM plug has a lip that overlaps onto the main bumper pad.

And Johnny...I'm silver and proud baby.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Sorry man, I guess I really couldn't tell one way or the other from the pic you have up. Now that you said something I notice it on the bed. My bad guys. lmao

Old 05-13-2010, 03:29 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You talking about the round hole in the bumper or the square plug that fits in the receiver?

I had a plug for the receiver that plugged into the trailer pig tail and was a 4th brake light ripped off in the Wally World parking lot about 10 years ago while in Florida visiting my parents and a chrome Bully step off of the receiver of my ex's Grand Cherokee right from my campsite while I was camping and trout fishing about 8 years ago. THAT ONE REALLY PISSED ME OFF because I had a hard shell topper on top and had that step on there to be able to get things out and put things in it!

Wasn't long after replacing that particular item that I invested in a couple of locking hitch pins I still use to this day!!!

Anyway, if it's the square hitch plug for a receiver, any auto parts store, a plain jane plastic one with the 2" square plug and the tube with the hole for the hitch pin is about $5.

If it's the round hole on the bumper, Upperbound1.com has a rubber plug for that hole for $3.95 with free ground shipping...

Be careful. I bought one of these before and it was too small. It was a loose fit in the hole. I had to wrap it with tape and use some hot glue to keep it in place. I looked like crap, not the OEM finished look I was going for, and I suspect you are too. Get one from the Junkyard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bumper Hitch Hole Plug