1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacing Harmonic Balancer

Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
NightRay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Harmonic Balancer

Hi all, this is my first post here, but a reader over the past year. Thank you all for your help with many small issues. These forums have been a wealth of information.

I have a 2000 5.9L D with 140k. Last couple of days it has been running extremely rough then started hearing a metal clanking sound. Check under the hood and the harmonic balancer has separated from the pulley.

I can do most work on my truck, but don't have the time to replace this myself. The only other time I took it in for repair was for a water pump last month. $350 from a local repair shop. (But I am never going back there....left there and 5 mile down the road I stopped and tranny fluid was spilling out everywhere. SOMEHOW the tranny cooler connection was uncsrewed all but about 1/4 thread....can't prove it was them but....luckily I caught it in time to save the tranny)

Anyway enough ranting.....What would you think is a good price to replace the balancer? I wont go to a dealer either. Part is $75.99 at AutoZone.

Any help would be great....

Thanks.

Brian in Denver.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your engine is basically a 360c.i. Dodge. That is a good price for one at AZ or you could check Jegs or Summit racing for a replacement but I doubt you could find one cheaper than the price you got. Only other option would be a junk yard but there would be no guarantees that it would not come apart like yours did.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

2 hours max....IMHO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Harmonic Balancer