Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Dodge Caravan AC Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:29 AM
bberretta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Caravan AC Not Working

Went to turn on the AC (finally warming up!). Compressor isn't kicking over at all and I'm getting ready to take it into the dealer. I'd like to go in with as much info as possible so as to keep from getting hosed by a dealer who has been less than honest with me in the past. Do any of you know of any specific problems that I should address? Any TSB's related to this? Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

first go to different dealer if u got hosed by that one.

second, only few possible issues that could arrise from electrical or mechanical. ok mechanical could be compressor dead but ya probably know that most times i have seen is loose of refrigerant and the low pressure control does not kick in the clutch to engage the ac. most vehicles in older one, yours might be have newer controls would leak on the seal in front of the compressor to the clutch. WHY because winter the seal would shrink and let out the gas. now yours will turn on the ac in winter even in heating defrost mode. other senerio could be a leak someplace. electrical could be a fuse or line cut or even dash controls.

or as simple as user issue . good luck. you should be able to see the ac clutch engage and disengage in the engine bay. need to have proper gauges to see what ya pressure is in system. but be carefull high pressure can burn ya if you touch it.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The discharge lines on the '08 van fails quite regularly. It is a TSB but not a recall yet. The line has finally been redesigned and I have not seen any of the new design fail so that looks promising. Pretty easy repair so you should be in and out in no time.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 AM
don_Celso
Default Having same issue with AC

Mines only blowing warm air just in time for summer! I will try the dealer and see what is said, based on my search today it appears these new models have a problem leaking refrigerant...

Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Yes they do, and now the discharge lines are on restriction so good luck getting one.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 AM
1dad4girls
Default 2009 Dodge caravan A/C not working

Hey folks,
I just got back from the dealer across from where I bought my 09 caravan (the dealer is now no longer there) anyway I left the new place satisfied (so far)... The gentleman in service was just that. A gentleman. This van is my wifes and has less than 5.000 miles. The A/C stopped working Tuesday, a great way to start the week after a holiday weekend. I got there early had a short wait on a first come first serve basis. I recieved an apoligy since I had gone quite a way to get there. The gent at the service counter went outside & under the hood to verify that it was a refridgerant line that was leaking & after reaching to where the rubber line is compress fitted to a bent aluminum line at the end connected to the compressor he had oil on his fingers. Thats the problem. He said theres a recall and that the dealers are getting the new redesigned parts in limited supplies and that I have a 2 week wait. Don't bother trying to charge the system while your waiting for your part as the charge wont last long. This recall has not yet been posted any place that I could find. As a mechanic myself, I'll sit this 1 out. (Hey - it's free) Lets hope this remidies the problem @ hand. I'll get back to let all know how it goes.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
baldelocks

Has anybody tried changing this on their own? I found the part for the discharge line for 13$.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
dan865
Default 2009 Grand Caravan AC

I also had the hose replaced under warranty after about a year. As well I had the rear ac evaporator develop a leak - NY salt. The van had 50k miles on it (24 mo) so there was no warranty. The dealer wanted $700 to repair (including the Al lines running back - which were ok). I ended up buying an aftermarket evaporator and expansion valve, installed / evacuated / charged the system for ~ $200. On the new evap. I protected the flange / clamp area with silicone - hopefully may last more than 2 years!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM
JPSpen

Just replaced my discharge line today..

Still no recall according to the dealership.. But they had a PILE of them on a cart within reach of the guy at the parts desk... It has been re-designed a little.. But not on the end that failed on mine.. But the part was only $19.00.. The replacement R-134a will cost three times that....

He said they are all failing.. Should be a recall..

John

Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Customer Satisfaction Notification K04
A/C Discharge Hose

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Caravan AC Not Working