Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Belt tensioner, how to replace? 1999 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:47 PM
DGauss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt tensioner, how to replace? 1999 3.8L

I have a 1999 Grand caravan w/ 3.8L . I need to replace the belt tensioner. It looks like to get to the stud and remove the nut the best bet is to pull the alternator, is this correct??

Also I have the replacement part from NAPA. Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad? They pully is stamped and seems kind of light weight......

Dave

Old 11-18-2006, 02:41 PM
buckeyeboy
Default RE: Belt tensioner, how to replace? 1999 3.8L

Replaced a belt tensioner on my GC last weekend. Don't mess with the alternator. Instead, get you a 'belt tensioner removal tool'. It is $20 or more depending on the quality. Or do like I did, and go to Advance Auto and borrow the tool for free.

With the tool, put pressure on the tensioner to remove the serpentine belt. Then you can work on the bolt that holds the tensioner to the motor.

Have seen alot written about OEM vs. Dayco vs. Goodyear, when it comes to the tensioner part. Save yourself some $$$, the OEM part had the Chrysler star emblem on the back, and "Dayco" on it too, so just buy it from Advance. Same part, lower price.

Then think about it, while you are in there, is it time to replace the belt too? How about the idler pulley?

Use the tool to put it all back together.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:22 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

The nut is accessed from underneath just above the rear exhaust manifold. A little tricky on your back but its the quickest way. I don't think that removing the alternator has any benefits.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:58 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Brandon is right, the nut can be accessed from below. You'll need a couple swivel extensions and a LOT of patience to get the nut threaded on the post. Once your hand is there you can feel it but not see it. Have someone hold the new tensioner against the engine or jam a shop rag against it to hold it in place while you thread the nut on. I did mine in march in God's garage lying on ice and snow. It can be done, but a lift would make it a lot easier.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM
dwitte

Ireplaced the tensioner (Dayco from Advance) today on a 1998 3.3L Grand Caravan by using my ramps in the garage, a standard 3/8 ratchet, one 6" and one 3" extension on a 15mm socket. The key is to come in from thecenter of the vehicle just below the rear exhaust manifold. There is good access from there.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM
webbee
Professional

For a while there it was either factory or NAPA for replacement tensioners. If Dayco makes the factory part now, and AAP has it cheaper, then that is the way to go. It's hard to keep up with who's part is best, especially with pretty much everything sliding into the Chinese quagmire.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Ironsleeve318
Professional

Ahhh dodge forum comes through again... I get to do this job next week. So really the easiest way is with a lift... damnit. haha.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 PM
h20loo

The idler and the tensioner take *** bearing #6203.2RSR.C3(1512017). The bearings can be replaced with out removing the tensioner and without crawling under neath and without spending a lot of $$. 15mm wrench, and you are all set.

Edit....The bearing manufacturer name is a derogatory term for a homosexual so it came up as asterics- sorry, didn't mean to affend with my first post.

Last edited by h20loo; 03-17-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner, how to replace? 1999 3.8L