3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED Tail Light Bulbs???

Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
hontzy87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Tail Light Bulbs???

Ok, so with the nightshade on my tails, it pretty apparent that i need some brighter tails. I need help tho. When it came to my HID's, i went with Twiggy cause all his stuff was plug and play and all the resistors/capacitors were already installed. Now with my tails i'm lost. If i go the LED route, i need load resistors. superbrightleds.com has the bulbs and resistors. Can anyone tell me how man resistors i need? 1 per bulb? and how do i wire these resistors in when i only have 3 wires at the plug going into the circuit board into the tail light? Do i then only need 1 resistor at that plug? If anyone can give me a hand or do a quick write up i'd appreciate it. I searched but "LED" being a 3 letter word wont allow.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 PM
hontzy87
Professional

Anyone?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 AM
cmzracing
Rookie

As far as I know, take it how you want to, if you do LED push in and turn bulbs, yes you need a resistor on each power wire going to the turnsignal bulb or it will blink very fast.

here is a chart to pick out what resistor you need to pick up at Radio Shack

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Fled_info.htm

Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i:m doing the same thing and wanting the answer lol

Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

LED's are NOT going to be any brighter than the halogens you have unless you get the chip type led's that have like 60 led's per bulb. Even with the 60 count, the Lumen output will still be less than the current halogen bulbs you are currently using.
LED's alter the color of the light to a cooler white color which looses light ouput. So, you can have a brighter halogen bulb that has a slight hue of yellow to it or a clean white looking bulb that has less output.
Big misconception that LED's have more ouput than halogens.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
hontzy87
Professional

I keep trying to find a thread that was posted a few months back. I don't recall which member it was. He simply put LED's in his tail lights and posted pics and they were super BRIGHT! And that was after he nightshaded his tails.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

They might be those 60packed bulbs, but all I can say is that LED's ARE NOT brighter than Haliogens as of yet with todays technology. The chip type Led's are the brightest but still have nowhere near the Lumen ouput of Halogens.

I think I know who you are reffering to and I believe the same guy installed Halo's in his taillights which is what produces the brightness, not the led bulbs.

I'm going to school right now for this stuff and it has been talked about in class. I'm not just puling this outt my ***. Had no intentions of rhyming there...lol

Again, LED produces a whiter light that APPEARS brighter, but actually isn't. Still provides less lumen output ofcourse unless there is like 1,000led's per 1 halogen bulbs..duhh..

Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Dunno207
Professional

I have LED tails on my truck, got em' off ebay. There Plug and Play. They work awesome and seem brighter than stock ones. And they look good too.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
T0A5T
Rookie

which bulbs do you need cuz i have a set of 3057 that dont work in signal or brake light. when i hit the brake they flash really quick once every 2 seconds but not like they should

Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Again, LED produces a whiter light that APPEARS brighter, but actually isn't. Still provides less lumen output ofcourse unless there is like 1,000led's per 1 halogen bulbs..duhh..
If it "appears" brighter then what does it matter if it technically isn't? I have seen 3 vehicles in person where they replaced the halogens with leds and every one was noticeably brighter. My tails are tinted and you can hardly see the light during the day so i'll be replacing them with leds. I'll take before and after shots.

Originally Posted by T0A5T
which bulbs do you need cuz i have a set of 3057 that dont work in signal or brake light. when i hit the brake they flash really quick once every 2 seconds but not like they should
You need a resistor for each bulb. There are guys who use 3157 as well.

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 06-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Tail Light Bulbs???