2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

ambient air temp or intake air temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 PM
redsl
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ambient air temp or intake air temp

dodge dealer said he has no listing for the ambient temp sensor. does a 2003 neon sxt have both of these sensors? if so where are they on the car and are they easy to get to in order to change thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Moparkyle
All Star

I couldn't find either on Napa. I'm doubting the existence of them.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They exist. I've gotten a code for one.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Moparkyle
All Star

It sounds like it would be a dealer only item then. I would double check at a different dealer then, last time I looked at my intake the only sensor I saw was the MAP if I remember correctly. Where is the ambient temp sensor located?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
redsl
Rookie

Well its official from 2 dodge dealer parts men, there is no ambient air temperature sensor for a 2003 neon sxt. The only sensor is the air intake temperature sensor on the air cleaner box. Dealer said ambient air temp sensor is only for cars equipped with exterior temperature readings like on a rear view mirror . The neons never came with that feature. I tried to explain that the code reads 0071 and specifically says ambient temp sensor. They said that is not correct. Also said the ambient temp sensor would not do anything to the car as it does not control the engine or emissions in any way. I am still going to look for this sensor anyway at the front of the car. I am determined to find it even if I have to install one myself LOL. If anyone does get any more info on this thread please let me know. I replaced the air intake temp sensor and erased the code 0071 now lets see what happens.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
houndog97
Rookie

I had the same problem, it's located in front of the radiator . I bought a new one from the dealer and put it in myself and no more 71 code error it's a cheap part less than 10 bucks. Google around and you will see pictures of it.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:13 PM
redsl
Rookie

OK someone really needs to know this, I found the ambient air temperature sensor inside the front grill. Why do dodge dealers insist that this part does not exist. I have it in my hand right now. its reads on the code PO71 yet they say a 2003 dodge neon does not have this part and its not listed in the parts catalog. WHAT DO I DO NOW? I want to stop the check engine light from coming on but I can't get the part. PLEASE HELP. I know someone out there has purchased one. How about a part number? or a place that actually list the part. I checked the online stores and none of them list it, can I have a car that had this installed as a mistake if so why does the code read that its bad. It should not have even been in the computer.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get one from a car in the junkyard?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM
earlyre
Professional

Originally Posted by redsl
OK someone really needs to know this, I found the ambient air temperature sensor inside the front grill. Why do dodge dealers insist that this part does not exist. I have it in my hand right now. its reads on the code PO71 yet they say a 2003 dodge neon does not have this part and its not listed in the parts catalog. WHAT DO I DO NOW? I want to stop the check engine light from coming on but I can't get the part.
umm quick question.
Are you sure you read the code right?
you are missing a digit for that to be a proper obd II Code...
is it P0071, or P0710?
P0071 IS ambient air temp sensor,
p0710 is Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit (from what i can find online)

hoping that could help with the mystery some.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:07 PM
earlyre
Professional

is this the part you "have in your hand"
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=577480_0_0_

Quick Reply: ambient air temp or intake air temp