3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting the under carriage...?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting the under carriage...?

Hey guys- been awile since i posted on here. I DO have some new mods but the truck hasnt been clean enough to take any pics.
Anyway, i am planning on painting the frame and axels before winter- i plan on parking the truck this winter so it will be safe from the salt. With the BL i can see more of the under carriage and would like to get it cleaned up a little. How should I go about this? should i scuff up the rusted spots and just paint them? Or should I scuff everything and paint it? I dont want to strip the whole frame down because thats too much work . Anyone have any input/ideas on how to go about this?
Also, any suggestions on what kind of paint i should use? I know a lot of the rubbery undercoatings just peel and flake off, I want this to last...

Thanks guys

Old 06-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best stuff to use would be POR-15..its pricey up here in alberta canada about 60 bucks a quart but its wicked stuff and tough!.. I believe you just wash the surfaces with a pressure washer, and wire brush and flakey rust off and then just brush on.
Not sure what it costs down in the states. and trust me this stuff will last!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM
busch2fan

I just use the undercoating you buy at O'Reillys etc. It' maybe $5 a can. It's a spray can about the size of the cans of spray paint you buy. I've used it for a few years and it holds up well.. Secret is to put thin coats on instead of caking it on. My Ram was beginning to rust up underneath and this stuff has lasted over a year so far. I think I might have used 3 cans to do the suspension, drive shaft rear end etc.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I Used Eastwood's Rubberized undercoating. Stuff works great. Just clean the surface and any rust and spray. Much easier to apply than POR15. I've done both. The surface must be prepped really well for that stuff to stick properly and it stains everything. HERE is the Eastwood stuff. Holds up pretty good against rock chips, but will needed to be recoated every 2 years i would say.
If you have a bit of rust, you could scuff it down and spray on an asphalt based undercoating. That will penetrate the rust and stop it from getting worse without primering and coating over that and all that stuff.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I Used Eastwood's Rubberized undercoating. Stuff works great. Just clean the surface and any rust and spray. Much easier to apply than POR15. I've done both. The surface must be prepped really well for that stuff to stick properly and it stains everything. HERE is the Eastwood stuff. Holds up pretty good against rock chips, but will needed to be recoated every 2 years i would say.
If you have a bit of rust, you could scuff it down and spray on an asphalt based undercoating. That will penetrate the rust and stop it from getting worse without primering and coating over that and all that stuff.
how does the eastwoods rubberized stuff hold up to salt? up here in canada they're big on putting salt down in the summer..and then the salty air on the coasts are nasty too. thats why im fond of por15...and i dont find it takes a lot of prep work when its gonna put years on your trucks frame lol.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

This is what I use. It holds up and looks great! Take a red scotch brite and lightly scuff/knock the dirt off. Hose it down, and when it's dry spray bomb away.

Name:  framepaint.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  valveinstalled.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  shackle1.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  49.2 KB

Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM
jake7
All Star

Frog- Do you do a lot of tapping? Or just spray around stuff? That looks good!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM
tsnyder
Professional

yea here on the west coast its bad but im origionally from New Brunswick(east of maine) and the last vehicle i had there in 3 years had to get my bumper and all 4 fenders redone due to the massive amount of salt they use so much that on clear dry roads in middle of winter u cannot see the divider lines on the roads due to salt(sorry for babbling on).I'm in the works of looking for something also ill try that por15.Were did u get it btw

Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 PM
tsnyder
Professional

dam frog your underbelly is clean >..nice! btw is that a see threw rearend cover

Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

Originally Posted by tsnyder
yea here on the west coast its bad but im origionally from New Brunswick(east of maine) and the last vehicle i had there in 3 years had to get my bumper and all 4 fenders redone due to the massive amount of salt they use so much that on clear dry roads in middle of winter u cannot see the divider lines on the roads due to salt(sorry for babbling on).I'm in the works of looking for something also ill try that por15.Were did u get it btw
yea im originally from oxford nova scotia.. they use alot of salt but you never have icey roads lol.. i think this is where my paint buddy gets it from here in edmonton ( i usually buy what he has left over from odd jobs) but their is anothing place.. ill try to find the name of it and send you a pm
Magic Autobody
www.magicautobody.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting the under carriage...?