2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 RAM Infinity Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM
mscott555
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 RAM Infinity Bypass

I have a 1998 RAM 2500 SLT Club Cab with an infinity stereo system. I had a blown factory driver side speaker and a factory AM/FM/Cassette H/U. So I decided to change out the H/U, which I have done (with a pioneer unit), but still have the bad speaker. I tried to find a factory speaker and could not find one. I now want to get new front speakers but would prefer not to completely rewire for them. I can see by reviewing other threads that it appears other people smarter than I have used the existing wiring harness but I can not find specific information/instructions. In the front door I have a 6-pin connector ( orange, purple, brown,yellow, green and blue) that goes into to the amp attached to the speaker. Then coming out of the amp are the black and red wires attached to the speaker terminals. If I simply wire my new speakers to the red and black I believe I am not bypassing the amp, but using it improperly because the new speaker resistance does not match the factory speaker resistance. I would like to cut the wire harness just before the amplifier and splice into whichever of the wires I need for the new speakers. Is this possible? If it is possible, how do I determine which 2 of the 6 wires to use? I know how to determine which is + and which is - once I have the wires...I just don't know how to find the right wires for the speakers. I believe the rear speakers are not dependent upon the amplifier connection but am not sure if they are tied into the front speaker wiring harness. I assume if I splice out of the wiring harness for the new front speakers that I will lose the A-pillar tweeters (not the end of the world). I have searched the net for two days trying to find a solution. As you can see I am not an audio guy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have replaced the head unit, you can replace the speakers and just wire them up direct to the pioneer. I have wiring diagrams if you need them as well... not sure if you can wire the existing tweeters in there somehow still or not, but someone will know

welcome to DF!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
mscott555

I would love to get a copy of the wiring diagram you mentioned. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 AM
99dodge360

I'm not sure on the 98, but on my 99 there were two wires on the amp that went to the tweeters. I wired these into the door speakers and they all worked. In my truck there is an mini amp on each speaker. I just got the wire that is the input to the amp and the wires that go the tweeters and wired them all into my front door speakers. Now I have all my speakers working properly. Was a little time consuming trying to track down all the proper wires but I think it was well worth it.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see if this helps ya

A Right Rear Spkr (-) Blue w/ White Stripe
B Left Rear Spkr (-) Brown w/ Yellow Stripe
C Right Front Spkr (+) Purple
D Left Front Spkr (+) Dark Green
E Right Rear Spkr (+) Blue w/ Orange Stripe
F Left Rear Spkr (+) Brown w/ Blue Stripe
G Power Antenna/Amp White (use for Infinity Radio)
H +12 Volt Battery Wire Pink or Pink w/ White Stripe
I +12 Volt Ignition Wire Red w/ White Strip
J Radio Dimmer Wire Do Not Use
K Headlight Dimmer Wire Do Not Use
L Right Front Spkr (-) Blue w/ Red Stripe
M Left Front Spkr (-) Brown w/ Red Stripe
N No Wire
Metal Braid Or Plastic Connector Attached To Back Of Radio Is The Ground Wire

But takin those little amps out might require you to turn the radio up more than normal, just a heads up. maybe come back later and install a new amp that runs to both doors. and as for ur tweeters, just run the 2 wires for them down to the + and - on the door speaker leads and soder them all together. will work like a charm.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Gomer03
Professional

Ok, so let me get this straight.....you tap into the wires before the pin connector....and tap into the wires for the tweeter and run 2 new wires to the 6x9s?

My buddies 2000 Ram has a blown speaker, gave him my old speakers out of my truck...went to replace them....and to my surprise, he had infinity's. I'm used to the + and -wires....but the whole wiring harness made me scratch my head.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Monster 98 Ram

i have a 98 dodge ram 2500 i just bought and hooked up a brand new pioneer deh-6300ub head unit. When i got done only my back speakers work. the front speakers did work before, but sometimes my driver side would cut out or not work. it does not have a infinity sound into it.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
nokaoii

I have a 95 1500 SLT with Infinity sound. It has a the main door speaker, a door tweeter and a smaller speaker behind the front seat by your shoulder.

My head unit died and I replaced it with an aftermarket. The wiring harness all matched up just fine but now my door speakers do not work, only the tweeters and a bit of sound out of the rear speakers. Anyone have any ideas? Is there something in the Infinity head unit that makes the door amps run?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Infinity unit is not amplified.
Pretty much every other aftermarket HU is amp'd. Sooo, just get new speakers.
Prolly need 'em anyway.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Probably something that hints to the door amps to turn on.... You can grab the 95 service manual from the FAQ section, and look up the wiring diagrams.

Quick Reply: 1998 RAM Infinity Bypass