1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

blower motor bad or not??????

Old 08-01-2004, 02:25 PM
jessjenna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor bad or not??????

2001 durango a/c blower motor not working .just quit while driving. checked for power with test light and there is power to the connector .So i replaced the blower motor. Guess what? Blower motor still doesnt work .Is there so type of hidden ground system on this thing .Both wires on the blower motor are hot ,but there is no ground .please help its hot

Old 08-01-2004, 03:38 PM
JCswm
Veteran
Default RE: blower motor bad or not??????

The blower motor resistor block is on the ground side of the blower motor, If both wires are hot you have an open in the ground circut
The DB/YL wire is the ground side, I'd jump that wire to ground first and the blower will work if the problem is on the ground side.
If your cigarette lighter and radio work, chances are G207 (the ground) is good (also blower ground)
The blower resistor is a real SOB to get to, you gotta pull the dash to get to it!!!

Old 08-01-2004, 04:44 PM
jessjenna

Thanks for replying . I jumped that wire to ground and the blower motor worked . does that mean the resistor is bad???? jessjenna

Old 08-02-2004, 12:19 AM
JCswm
Veteran

Could be.... let me look at the wireing again for another test point, I'll get back to you tonight
Leave the blower setting on High & it's safe to leave the temp ground hooked up so you have AC

Old 08-02-2004, 01:41 AM
uawnick
Professional

Stupid question: Did you check the fuse?

Old 08-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JCswm

The blower motor resistor block is on the ground side of the blower motor, If both wires are hot you have an open in the ground circut
The DB/YL wire is the ground side, I'd jump that wire to ground first and the blower will work if the problem is on the ground side.
If your cigarette lighter and radio work, chances are G207 (the ground) is good (also blower ground)
The blower resistor is a real SOB to get to, you gotta pull the dash to get to it!!!
DO NOT PULL THE DASH!!! Here is the link with the information you need to replace the resistor pack and get your blower working again. The part runs around $13-$16 bucks and you should be able to do it yourself. Only 2 screws holding the resistor pack in place.

https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=5461...&key=blower⊚

The part number for the resistor pack is 04885635ab. Dealer item only. Seems this is very very common amongst 2001 models. I already replaced this resistor pack in three 01 models already. Haven't changed out any on other year models yet.

Actual time it took to swap out the resistor pack is around 20-30 minutes for a first timer. Afterwards, it takes less than 5 minutes to replace them once you know where to look for them and what to expect.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:11 AM
JCswm
Veteran

REMOVAL
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
From the passenger foot well area, remove the two hex screws used to secure the blower motor resistor.
Unplug the front blower motor resistor from the wire harness connector.
Remove the front blower motor resistor from the HVAC unit.

Thank god they moved them
John

Old 05-31-2005, 11:27 PM
thaindal

I replaced the blower motor resistor today and it worked for about 2 minutes. Can anybody give me some advice on what I can check next?

When I bought the part at the local Dodge dealer they told me that they are selling about 1700 of these a week. Seems like this should be a recall, but they said that only happens when enough people write letters to Chrysler.

Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 PM
cooleod

I have a 03 Durango that just had the same problem. Good thing I found this forum! I got a Chilton manual and looked at the schematic and thought that might be the problem, but I am by no means a pro. Called the dealer to see if they would cover it under warranty (we just went over 40K) and they said they would have to run a diagnostic check ($85) and then submit it to Dodge for a review to see if they would cover it. WHAT A CROCK! This should definitely be a recall. Am going to get the part tomorrow and attempt a fix. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:12 PM
cooleod

Installed the resistor block in about 5 mins and everything works fine. $16.25 + tax at the dealer. Sure beats the $85 "diagnostic" test they wanted to run and then pay them parts and labor on top of that. When I called the dealer, I know that they knew what was wrong but wanted to squeeze some money out of me. After this Durango, I think I am through with Chrysler products. Thanks for the info everyone.

Dave
San Diego

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blower motor bad or not??????