2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Output Speed Sensor Location

Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 PM
MagnumVP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output Speed Sensor Location

Recieved a P0720 from the machine and need to replace the Output Low Speed Sensor. However I have the service manual and the Heynes Manual but can't make heads or tails of the location of it. Both the Haynes and the ServiceManual have the exact same picture. Any help would be appreciative.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Output Speed Sensor Location

There's a speed sensor on the top of the rear differential, isthat the one your looking for?

I believe there's also one in the tranny but I am unsure whether or not you would need to pull the pan to get at it.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:57 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

Well I purchased the Output Speed Sensor from AutoZone (Part Number SU394) but I think this is incorrect part. I need to replace the Output Speed Sensor for the tranny (Pulling from error code P0720). But I think that is the incorrect part. I can't find that part anywhere under the truck or on the tranny.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The speed sensor is located in the overdrive gear case. The sensor is positioned over the park gear and monitors transmission output shaft rotating speed

[IMG]local://upfiles/2784/7F4B321A1DD24BA8A07FAA160FF1D816.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008, 10:21 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

Well that was it. I replaced the sensor, erased thecodeand the problem is now gone. Thank You

Old 05-25-2008, 10:07 PM
dodge my ram

hi there i am having the same error code on my truck. The check engine light came on the other day and the truck was acting weird so i had the code pulled today and it is p0720. the symptoms i have notcied are when im at a complete stop and the vec. is in gear (drive, reverse) the speedo reads twenty ish km. When im coming to a stop the spedo will drop down to zero but once i've reached a full stop it bounces back to twenty, when i start to accelerate from a stop the speedo instantly drops to zero and goes up as i increase speed, seems to be working properly. If I put the truck in park the speedo drops to zero but if i depress the bake pedle while in park it sits at about twenty again. The other symptom is if I have my foot on the brake and im at a stop and I shift into neutral i can hear a clicking noise (and kinda feal it in the pedle) it clicks about 10 times then stops, once i shift back into drive it does the same thing, about ten clicks. The truck also seems to be late shifting. I do not have abs in this truck. Any suggestions would be great, is there any way to acutaly test the output speed sensor? How about the entire circuit? The clicking noise makes me think possibly a solenoid if there is one in the circuit. thanks in advance -dan

Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 PM
dodge my ram

sorry forgot to mention the truck is a 1999 dodge ram 1500 Laramie slt 4x4 with a 5.9l engine, no abs. thanks again -dan

Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

Well the P0720 Error Speed Sensor is only $20 and it takes about 3 minutes to replace with a standard cresent wrench. Is that the only code that the computer is spitting out for you. Not sure if you have a Kragen near you but here is the piece that I fixed to fixed my P0720 error. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...79&PTSet=A

That part is assuming that you have the same tranny as I do (46RE)

At one time I had a similar issue where my speedometer wouldn't register until 15-20 MPH and it turned out to be the vehicle speed sensor on top of the rear differential. It is about $45 and takes a 1/2 socket and about a 5 minutes to replace. However at that time, my check engine light was NOT on (my ABS light was).

I have ABS in my truck but here is the sensor for a NON-ABS truck.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...79&PTSet=A

Have you checked the fluid level in yout tranny? When was the last time you changed the fluid and filter?

Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 PM
ram 2500

Originally Posted by Parts/Service
The speed sensor is located in the overdrive gear case. The sensor is positioned over the park gear and monitors transmission output shaft rotating speed

[IMG]local://upfiles/2784/7F4B321A1DD24BA8A07FAA160FF1D816.gif[/IMG]
Is it possable for somebode to post a pict??

Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM
DanDMan
Default Output speed sensoe location

This is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8

This is the sensor in the rear, but its not the output speed sensor.

On the transmission next to the U-joint/drive shaft is the output speed sensor. Is is located on the drivers side facing down. The Wires to this device as listed in the manual are LightGreen/Black stripe & DarlBlue/Black stripe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Output Speed Sensor Location