3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

What could be wrong??

Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
tfraysie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What could be wrong??

So I was driving on the backroads up in the mountains, and my tranny fluid temperature gauge came on. It eventually went off after a minute or so, but it then came back on the next time I was driving my truck. It hasn't been on since then, but I am just concerned about what might be causing this. I had been out on some rough terrain but not too bad. If anyone knows what might cause this and what might occur from this problem, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Brian9
Veteran

Did you check your fluid level?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM
tfraysie
Professional

Yes, I checked the fluid level, and it wasn't low or anything. The second time it came on I had been driving it for about 20 minutes on the same backroads, and it went off again after a minute or so.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM
rengnath
Champion

Do you have a tranny cooler? With the big tires, and driving in the mountains, if it was a warmer day out the tranny will heat up pretty fast.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have to drive mine hard in the mountains, otherwise i can peg my trans temp gauge in as little as a minute, keeping the rpm's up over 3000, keeps the converter in stall and doesnt heet up the fluid, for me anyway...

and if the fluid did get hot enough to turn on the light, you may look into getting a flush, otherwise your trans wont be too happy running on burnt fluid

Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
rengnath
Champion

And once the fluid gets that hot, it starts to loose its heat transferring properties even if its not technically burnt. Changing it may solve your overheating problems.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
tfraysie
Professional

The fluid was changed last year because I had to have some transmission work done to it. I will change it again though just in case that might be the problem. Id say I kept the rpms around 2,200, so that might have been a reason as well. As far as a tranny cooler, unless it came stock I have not installed one. How does a tranny cooler work?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 AM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

If wheeling like that alot, I would also install a temp gauge to keep an eye on the temps and learn what you are doing to get the temps to rise and back off before the warning light comes on. One thing you don't want to skimp on is your tranny fluids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What could be wrong??