3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 1500 5.7 hemi Engine stalls, check engine light on

Old 07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
lovinthehemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 1500 5.7 hemi Engine stalls, check engine light on

Help!
I just bought this 3 weeks ago. The day after driving it off the lot I noticed that the theromstat wasnt working and the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it.
The next night I noticed that none of the interior lights were working all of a sudden. They were working before I took it in. So, I went into the fuse box and noticed that the fuse for interior lights was pulled. Upon replacing it- the check engine light was back on! There were 2 other fuses missing, so I went ahead and replaced those too and miraculously, the check engine light went off. It has stayed off, however now the engine is stalling randomly while idling (stoplight, etc). Do you think it's all related? Anyone else have these issues?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's very possible that the throttle body is clogged up with gunk, a common issue and very easy to clean. You can do a search in this section for a plethora of information about it.
But I'd make it the dealer's problem, sounds like the thing ain't been right since the day you drove it off the lot.

Also sounds like they "band aided" your original problem by pulling a fuse. Did they think you'd not notice your lights not working? I'd give 'em hell!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
lovinthehemi

Thanks! Ill do it.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
cam01ss
Amateur
Default what is the proper way to clean the throttle body and what is the relearn procedure ?

i wanted to know the proper procedure i was at my friends shop last week and got on to his computer and playing around with mitchell i was looking for throttle body cleaning and it said not to spray any cleaners in there, it said to wipe the throttle is this true and why? also what is the relearn procedure after cleaning? if this is not true can someone tell me the correct procedure im having a low idle issue and i wanted to try this to see if it helps. thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You are supposed to take the TB off and spray non-chlorinated cleaner on the BT plate and bore and clean it. You want to me careful not to get an in the electronics. The reason they say not to spray cleaner down the TB with it on the intake is because anything you spray off if it goes down in the intake and get digested by the truck. If you have ever seen a nasty TB you would certainly not want that gunk down in the engine.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM
dodgegurl12

I had the stalling while idling problem, and sometimes random 'chugging'. Try and oxygen sensor - but there are 4 on the Hemi. Pre/Post Cat on either the Left or Right side...so you probably need to connect it to the computer to figure out which one. I have replaced 2 already....Love my Hemi...

Old 08-01-2010, 03:45 PM
lovinthehemi

All has been ok since my last post. I put in premium gas and no more stalling, however today, my check engine light came back on. I have a call into the dealer, but I'll bet they will tell me to kick rocks. So....would a dirty TB cause the engine light to come on? grrrrr

Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Not usually, but prolly an EGR code, since they are about as gunked up as the TB. What's the code? Gotta pull the code to know for sure...

Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
lovinthehemi

Just took it up to pep boys and was given this code: P3497

Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Man, that potentially could be a bad one. Hope you got some kinda warranty on the truck.

That would be a problem with your MDS system in the engine. That's the system that handles the transition from 8 to 4 cyl mode and back.

Possible causes can be insufficient oil pressure acting on the lifter locking pins, oil passages restricted in the engine, bad lifter or bad MDS solenoid.

Hopefully it's the solenoid...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 1500 5.7 hemi Engine stalls, check engine light on