1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

FAQ's Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FAQ's Ideas

I have made a Gen 1 FAQ's thread.
Please, post any idea/suggestions/etc. you would like to see there!

Old 08-30-2006, 04:43 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FAQ's Ideas

good idea its about time you posted something usefull lol [sm=joke.gif]
________
Ford Crown Victoria Skyliner Specifications

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 AM
erock92kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dig it, theres alot of useful info there.

I think its funny that our 3.9's make about as much power as the 5.2's. If you mix match certain years its the same. Granted you can still get more out of the v-8's. Hop up parts are more readily available. But there are many parts that you can modify to work on our 3.9's. Essentially it is a 5.2 with a couple cylinders missing.

I like the K series 2.2/2.5 liter engines though. That sucks that they did away with them. They were good engines if you just knew how to take care of them in my opinion. But my opinion may not be the same as others.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: erock92kota
I like the K series 2.2/2.5 liter engines though. That sucks that they did away with them. They were good engines if you just knew how to take care of them in my opinion. But my opinion may not be the same as others.
Thats very true, I remember my grandpa telling me those small motors can actually put out quite a punch with the proper parts.
There is a guy in the Gen 2 boards (link) that wants to put a turbo 2.5L in it (post #7) that makes 400HP/450TQ.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM
gb6491
Rookie

Excellent idea and thanks for the work you've done on it already!

Repair manuals:
It might be worth mentioning that many public libraries have online access to the EBSCOhost Automotive Repair Reference Center The one here in Orange Co. CA. just requires your library card number to log in. I can also access it from home via their website.
" Auto Repair Reference Center
The Auto Repair Reference Center database includes automotive repair information supplied by Nichols Publishing, the former publisher of the Chilton manuals. Auto Repair Reference Center contains information on most major manufacturers of domestic and imported vehicles, with repair information for most vintage makes starting as far back as 1954. Database content includes approximately 25,000 vehicles covered from 1954 to present; over 100,000 factory drawings and step-by-step photographs; over 65,000 technical service bulletins & recalls issued by the original equipment vehicle manufacturer; wiring diagrams for easy viewing and printing; specifications & maintenance schedules; Labor Time Guide & Estimator; Quick Tips, and a complete guide to vehicle ownership & maintenance."

Autozone also has some online repair manuals: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...ginRepairGuide

Regards,
Greg

BTW: The heater/ac fan speed resistor block might merit mention as well. I put up a web page about it some time back: http://gbrannon.bizhat.com/resistorbox.htm

Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM
erock92kota
Professional

Yeah. I have often tossed the idea around. I have a rebuilt turbo 2.2l from late 80s shelby car. I also have the computer, and a wiring harness from an 89 shelby daytona, and a rebuilt turbo which is still bolted to the engine. I have just about everything I need for the swap that I can think of although I am sure that there are parts I will find I need along the way.

The only real thing that keeps me from doing it at this point is time. At the moment I need my truck for a daily. It's not quite a weekend project for me to swap the engines and make the turbo engine work overnight. Eventually this may happen but I was acctually saving all these parts for the day when I get my hands on a descent shadow or an omni. I would love to spank the lil ricer boys n girls around here in a k-car (aries,reliant, etc....), but I havent found any of those that came with a manual tranny. I had a couple people tell me they were produced, but I havent seen one so I am finding his hard to believe.

My absolute dream car would have to be an Omni GLH/GLHS. It is the first thing on my to do list when I win the lottery. Either that or when I find one for a descent price I will have to buy it if funds allow at the time.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
alwayssummer

awesome FAQ. one section i was disappointed with was the power/efficiency modifications. it seems to me that 220 HP out of a 5.2 is nowhere near the max this engine could do.

a friend (gto enthusiast) suggested one might install an electric fan to reduce the parasitic drag on the engine. i was surprised there's no kit availalbe for that. anyway, seems there should be a lot more HP potential in there.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM
alwayssummer

How about a link to some oil burning discussions...

https://dodgeforum.com/m_1089013/tm.htm

Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the fuel gauge the sender is removable but you have to remove the pump. my card was cracked and the part number from advance auto parts is CP7583. $17 bucks, my dad soldered mine though
Name:  DSCI0110.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  83.8 KB

The following users liked this post:
Frank Guerra (09-09-2020)
Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You got it Deerkiller9991

The following users liked this post:
Frank Guerra (09-09-2020)