Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 dodge grand caravan sport idles rough/stalls

Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
bennet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 02 dodge grand caravan sport idles rough/stalls

o2 dodge gr carav sprt 3.3 l flex fuel less than 75,000 mi, wife put gas in and approx 40 min. later it started idling rough and stalling, tried dry gas and fuel inj cleaner , new fuel filter,
put fuel pressure gauge on and turned on key reading was 53-57 psi started and rose to 60 psi and needle was not steady @ 60 (errattic) could not get accurate reading, gauge stayed same until reaching higher rpm then calmed down a little, disconnected vac line from fuel rail which ran to round cylinder looking part on front of van by radiator and then ??? ( i think this is vac hose running back to fuel press reg. in tank?? ) van starts ok runs, for a few minutes then idle surges /pulse's up and down then stalls , van will run and hesitate/sputter if you keep up rpm and pump pedal i do not have manual or fuel specs or what fuel press test gauge is supposed to do throughout test need help bad !!!

Last edited by bennet; 08-01-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: changed parts
Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Did this problem start after the wife put gas in the van?And is the check engine lite on? If this problem started after the gas was put in,you could have a bad tank of gas.Water or sugar.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 AM
bennet
Default o2 dodge caravan

i think we can rule out sugar, wouldn't the dry gas / inj. cleaner fix the water issue? i also added 5 gallons of fuel after that.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 AM
bennet
Default 02 caravan

forgot to mention ,yes check engine light is on and has been on for awhile, @ least a year, (garage mechanic could not find anything wrong, said he thought it was nothing serious) how do i find codes? with key?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
bennet

changed o2 downstream sensor , van idle still surges not as much seems to have 3 surge bursts and moisture out of tailpipe and exhaust smells different than normal?
code 0601?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Code P0601 is an internal controller fault. Does exhaust smell like coolant or a roten egg?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 AM
bennet

more like rotten egg not overpowering though,

Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You may have an emission problem,could be the pcm, both o2 sensor's or the cat converter is start to plugged.Could also have some wires melted at the back of the cylinder head. Its hard say without seeing the van.You need to take your van to a shop that has scanner and tools to find the problem with your van.I would only be guessing at this point.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
bennet

i took your advice and drove to garage mechanic , cutting out all the way as i was driving , thanks for all the help advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 dodge grand caravan sport idles rough/stalls