4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2010 Big Horn Hemi: sizing winter rim/tires

Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Mawgie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Big Horn Hemi: sizing winter rim/tires

Folks -

I bought a new 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab 4x4, Big Horn last Friday.
Love it so far.
It replaced my '06 2500 Cummins Ram single axle, quad cab, 4x4.

My new truck came with the gigantic 275/60/20 Wranglers HPs on chrome rims. Cool looking, but not so cool driving for winter here in Central NY.

I am planning to buy another set of (ideally factory) alloy rims with TPMS sensors, with dedicated tires to take me from November 1 of each year through April 1 of the following year.

I just measured my tires, and they seem to stand about 32" tall in the driveway. I'd like whatever I buy to read about the same on the speedometer..........

Can anyone tell me what to look for in terms of rim/size, and how far back I can go in model years and still assure proper fitment: factory 18"?, factory 17"?

Thanks-Mawgie

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
DOO-DREW
Amateur

The next morning after getting the new 2010 Ram, I swapped out the factory HP's for a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60 R20. Read a ton of good wright ups and 5/5 stars on Belle Tire's web-site. With $115x4 credit for the stockers it ran me just over $300 installed. I'm in Michigan where I drive 3.5+hrs north all winter in some very nasty stuff. I'm look'n forwad to these. I've been to Tug Hill and Old Forge a few times and or UP and NW lower see's that type of snow. I've had 2 other Rams and the factory HP's just plain suck in everything but dry pavement. The new one's are 33.3in tall and I forget how wide... but made the truck look like a truck.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 Big Horn Hemi: sizing winter rim/tires-0730000936a.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 AM
renos09
Veteran

I would stick with a 17 inch rim, you have more tire options with the 17's vs the 18 inch and they cost less.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:24 AM
randomdef
Professional

just speaking from a northern alberta perspective. if you can't drive a 4x4 with normal all seasons in winter, you should go back to a prius.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 AM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my stock tires made it through one of the worst winters in iowa with no problems. I was able to get where I needed to go without getting stuck once, and that included driving though two foot snow drifts and on solid ice covered roads. Its like randomdef said if you cant drive a 4x4 with all season tires then walk.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 AM
gutty96
Veteran

I agree 100%. Winter tires are for FWD cars. 4x4s are fine with all-season/all Terrain tires.

And this is coming from an Ontario driver, who has been through as nasty as winter can get.

I am looking forward to trying the Ram out this winter. Even with the Stock Goodyears.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 AM
Mawgie

Thanks for the input, folks. I'm quite sure I can get where I am going with the stock Wrangler HPs on the 20" factory chrome rims.

I should have been more specific. My objectives are to to dramatically IMPROVE winter driving traction, and also take the chromes off to spare them from the brutality of winter road conditions and the chemicals applied to the roads here in Upstate NY.

For example, on my '06 2500 Cummins Ram, I replaced the stock Michelien LTXs with Cooper Discover ATRs when the Michelins wore out. The Coopers have a more open pattern, and the truck went much, miuch better in wet snow and the type of mud and slop I occasionally encounter when field hunting for geese, which calls for driving on wet, rutted field laneways.

I found some factory 18s on CL, brand new takeoffs, but the guy is asking $500 per, and I don't know (yet) if that is with the TPMS sensors. Sounds a little steep.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well if thats the case then you could go with a 17 inch tire and get 285/75R17 tires. Nitto has the terra grappler in that size and it is a fairly aggressive tire but wont howl down the road. that is what I will be going with next year when my tires wear out.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Caffeine

Here's what I did to my 2010 Big Horn for winter driving here in Alaska - Got some cheap steel factory 17" rims and TPMS sensors and put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks. Stick with a factory size tire (I went with 265/70R-17) and have the dealer reset the pinion factor with their scan tool. My dealer told me it's an easy adjustment if you stick with a factory tire size, otherwise it's kinda a PITA.

Yes, you can get around with all-seasons, but you will notice a HUGE improvement with a real winter tire. I'm not talking about getting stuck, I'm talking about when it really matters, like the stopping power of a good studless tire on ice. I really like my Blizzaks and I've also driven a vehicle with Michelin X-Ice's which seemed to perform just as well. I've driven with studded tires too which are a definite improvement over all-seasons, but I like the new studless tires more. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just to add a little information - the Blizzaks and X-Ice studless winter tires I mentioned have a gummy rubber tread which helps them grip the ice better. Tire Rack has some good reading on them. Here's a link comparing a Blizzak studless winter tire to both all-seasons and a summer tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=116

Last edited by Caffeine; 08-03-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added some info
Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 PM
awful knawful
Professional

Originally Posted by Caffeine
Here's what I did to my 2010 Big Horn for winter driving here in Alaska - Got some cheap steel factory 17" rims and TPMS sensors and put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks. Stick with a factory size tire (I went with 265/70R-17) and have the dealer reset the pinion factor with their scan tool. My dealer told me it's an easy adjustment if you stick with a factory tire size, otherwise it's kinda a PITA.

Yes, you can get around with all-seasons, but you will notice a HUGE improvement with a real winter tire. I'm not talking about getting stuck, I'm talking about when it really matters, like the stopping power of a good studless tire on ice. I really like my Blizzaks and I've also driven a vehicle with Michelin X-Ice's which seemed to perform just as well. I've driven with studded tires too which are a definite improvement over all-seasons, but I like the new studless tires more. Hope this helps.
This is exactly what I'm gonna do. Getting cheap black steel 17" rims and going with REAL winter tires Blizzaks! I don't know how much snow you guys get, but here we get it by the feet. M&S tires just don't cut it! I have the superchips comming and will be able to set my tire height that way. Purpose built winter tires are way better than M&S tirs. I see it every storm. Big 4x4s stuck in the ditch cause they don't have the proper tires. Stopping and steering are where the winters really shine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Big Horn Hemi: sizing winter rim/tires