3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

grinding noise and vibration when turning left

Old 02-24-2008, 04:10 PM
jc3176
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise and vibration when turning left

I have a 2004 ram 1500 with a 5.7l hemi i am experiencing a rubbing/grinding sound with a vibration through the steering wheel that only occurs when i turn to the left. it doesnt matter how sharp i turn it start when i put light pressure to the left on the wheel i have pulled both front tires off and can find no signs of anything rubbing it has the stock tires and everything clears. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this ? any help is greatly appriciated.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:40 PM
herring_jerritt
Veteran
Default RE: grinding noise and vibration when turning left

if its a realy nastry grinding noise, i had a rock stuck inbetween the roter and the shield that was making a bad noise when i turned one way, i just took a flat head and pryed out on the cover alittle and the rock feel right out

Old 02-24-2008, 06:55 PM
masshole
Professional
Default RE: grinding noise and vibration when turning left

I had the very same problem, vibration at low speeds turning left... It started at around 13k, I brought it to the dealer and he thought it was my rotors were slightly warped. I thought to myself, I have no pulsing at the brakes when applied, how could it be the rotors. Well anyways, as soon as I had my leveling kit done everything went away. No vibration at all, problem solved!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 AM
OptimusPrimalBear

I have something making a rubbing/grinding noise when I turn right...only on the takeoff. I don't hear/feel it when driving at normal speeds, long radius curves or anything like that. Only when taking off from a dead stop into a right turn. I can't see anything rubbing or making contact with the tires. Everything is stock. Any ideas?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 AM
jaytee

I have the very same problem when turning the wheel to the left on take off. Anyone have any luck?

Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
ssidick

Most likely the front wheel brg.
I had to remove the wheel and then the caliper before i could find the grinding.
I think the pads kind of keep it in alignment.
When i took the caliper off the hub just flopped around.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely check the left wheel bearing, I had mine blow out on me. I had to replace a hub, bent caliper, tiros etc etc.. Check it soon.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Wormz

It also could be something more serious. Each side has its own independent CV boot/axel/shaft
if you are hearing grinding noise when turning to one side it could mean that side CV boot is failing. Look for grease spots near the tires see if there is a leak, if these fail you will want to replace not just the boot but the entire shaft itself, normally pretty inexpensive. However if you ignore it and it gets worse the truck will become nonoperational and could cause major issues if it completely fails while in the truck!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 AM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by jc3176
I have a 2004 ram 1500 with a 5.7l hemi i am experiencing a rubbing/grinding sound with a vibration through the steering wheel that only occurs when i turn to the left. it doesnt matter how sharp i turn it start when i put light pressure to the left on the wheel i have pulled both front tires off and can find no signs of anything rubbing it has the stock tires and everything clears. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this ? any help is greatly appriciated.

Had similar problem, ended up being a bad right side sway bar end link which gave my front right wheel back and forth play, but not up and down....Check for play if you hav'nt yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: grinding noise and vibration when turning left